If you lot are in a hurry and just want to find out what the best video photographic camera for sports is, then I’d recommend the Sony a7III, Sony a6600, or Fujifilm X-T4!
If you have always tried to pic a fast-paced sport, yous’ll realize that it isn’t just ‘point-and-shoot.’ It’s harder than information technology looks on TV! You’ll need the appropriate camera gear to get the shots you lot want.
The skillful thing is that now a day, there is an abundance of different cameras bachelor at all budgets that tin can shoot smashing video. Today, we’re going to encompass my favorite 10 cameras specifically for shooting sports. This includes full-frame, APS-C, Micro Four Thirds, bridge cameras, and action cameras.
To help yous figure out, what camera to cull for the sport you’ll be shooting I organized this article a little differently. Inside the article, you lot’ll kickoff find a section defended to my ten favorite sports video cameras. Then, it’south followed by a useful breakdown of camera features and performance characteristics you should consider based on specific sports.
Why Trust Me?
As with all of the Ultimate Guides I create, I have poured countless hours of inquiry into this article to make sure you have all the information you need to make the best decision.
I accept seen way also many camera articles that either don’t comprehend everything you need to know or they’re not updated oft. Camera technology changes quickly, so to accept the best information, yous need the most updated information.
In my opinion, to truly empathize what makes a good video camera, you lot need to have used them solar day in and twenty-four hour period out in a variety of unlike situations.
I’ve been a professional filmmaker and photographer since 2018 and have been lucky enough to work on projects all over the earth with brands such as Alaska Airlines, Kayak.com, Prague Tourism, Visa, Airbnb, and many more than. If you lot’re curious to run into the total list of companies we’ve worked with, just head over to our
Piece of work With Us
Additionally, growing upward I played whatever sport I could get my hands on and fifty-fifty played baseball in college then I have an inside understanding of the dissimilar situations you could detect yourself in while recording a sporting event.
From these experiences, I recall I’1000 in a good position to assistance you find the perfect photographic camera for whatever sport you will be filming.
Almost chiefly, I’m just a message away. And then, if you accept whatsoever questions, just go out a comment below, email me at
, or send me a DM on Instagram
P.S. I answer every question that is sent 🙂
Reviews of the ten Best Video Cameras for Sports
ane. Sony a6600
The first photographic camera in this article is the mirrorless a6600, an APS-C (Avant-garde Photo System blazon-C). First things first, we take UHD 4k at 30fps and 1080p at a very useful 120fps. Nosotros have no fourth dimension limit for recording, so your footage is actually merely limited by the memory card capacity you have.
On the subject of battery, we have a very handy 2280 mAh battery, which is a step up from the frankly poor offering in the a6600 with its 1080 mAh battery. To accommodate the larger battery, the overall thickness of the grip is also larger at present which gives information technology better ergonomics compared to the a6600.
It also has the space for an extra custom push button next to the menu button and a flip, touch screen for shooting in those awkward places.
It ways the weather-sealed alloy body is comfortable and easy to shoot with. Even with longer lenses, it doesn’t feel as unbalanced as some other mirrorless cameras can.
The ISO range is 100 to 32,000 and is extendable to 50-102,400, which, when paired with the five-axis, in-camera stabilization (up to v-cease), makes it perform very well in low-calorie-free.
When shooting in low-light situations, I find that autofocus on other cameras can sometimes hunt excessively or lose the target.
Yet, with the Sony a6600’southward stage-detection and contrast-detection autofocus system, it allows for crisp low-light performance and lock and tracking of moving subjects. These are both specially important for capturing a wide range of sports.
- Improved battery life over the a6400.
- Better ergonomics.
- Slap-up depression-lite performance.
- Faster and more authentic autofocus with real-time tracking and heart autofocus when shooting video.
- No limit on record fourth dimension.
- Improver of a headphone output so you tin monitor the sound easier.
- Has 5-axis in-body prototype stabilization which is equivalent to a 5 end faster shutter speed.
- It yet records in viii-bit which is non every bit good every bit the ten-bit you can record at on the Panasonic GH5, Panasonic S5, and Fuji X-T4.
- There is an additional crop when shooting in 4K (~1.05x in 24 FPS and ~i.2x in 30 FPS).
- Information technology still has a rolling shutter event.
2. Sony a6400
If yous like what you run into with the Sony a6600 or Sony a7III, but want to relieve a considerable amount of money, the Sony a6400 could be a skilful choice depending on how you plan to employ it. The two biggest downsides with this camera when compared to the a6600 and the a7III is much shorter battery life and the lack of built-in image stabilization.
Let’south take a closer look at the battery life divergence as I think it’s important to bespeak out for a dedicated sports photographic camera.
The Sony a6400 uses the Sony NP-FW50 bombardment. Based on my feel you should exist able to become only over an hour of continuous 4k video shooting with this battery. On the other hand, the Sony NP-FV100 which the Sony a6600 and Sony a7III use is a larger bombardment and will double your battery life.
Both batteries will work, simply for some of you lot, having a longer battery life volition brand information technology much easier and more than convenient to focus on recording the game.
If you tin can get over these 2 big negatives, the Sony a6400 is an awesome camera. Information technology uses the same sensor as the more expensive Sony a6600, and so yous’ll get the same prototype quality and incredible autofocus features using the classic Sony combination of 425 phase-detection and 425 contrast-detection points.
The a6400 also features the improved add-on of real-time autofocus tracking in video mode, which volition help y’all focus on the player you want to.
On the video side, it besides has the same 4k and 1080p frame rates that you’ll find in the Sony a6600 and Sony a7III. It tin can shoot in 4k at up to thirty FPS (frames per 2d) and up to 120 FPS in 1080p. The all-time role is that information technology doesn’t have the 30-minute 4k recording limit which you’ll find on the Sony a7III
Overall, if you lot don’t care about switching batteries during the game and program to use a tripod, the Sony a6400 could be a corking fit.
- Cracking value camera at a reasonable toll point.
- Skilful selection of 4k and 1080p frame rates including up to 120 FPS (frames per second) in instance you want to capture deadening-motion footage.
- Uses the same sensor equally the more than expensive Sony a6600 so y’all’ll get the same image quality and autofocus performance.
- Excellent autofocus with the 425 phase-detection and contrast-detection autofocus points that encompass almost of the frame. Also, become real-fourth dimension tracking when shooting video.
- No 4k recording limit.
- No born image stabilization versus the 5-centrality epitome stabilization in the Sony a6600 and Sony a7III.
- There is an boosted crop when shooting in 4K (~1.05x in 24 FPS and ~1.2x in thirty FPS)
- Still uses the Sony NP-FW50 bombardment which doesn’t give you the best battery life.
3. Sony a7 Three
Notes From The Field:
Sony recently released of the
The photographic camera is a more compact and simplified version of the Sony a7 Three and comes with nearly identical technical specs every bit the Sony a7 III. There are a few upgrades including better colour science, a fully articulating flip out screen, and no 4k recording limit. On the other mitt, in that location are some negatives with the Sony a7C to keep in mind besides including lack of dual card slots, less customizable buttons, no joystick to move the autofocus bespeak, and it may be harder to hold if you have bigger hands. Additionally, the current list price puts it only slightly cheaper than the a7III. With that said, if y’all like what y’all see with the Sony a7 Three, and would benefit from no 4k recording limit and a fully articulating screen, it may be worth looking into the Sony a7C.
This Sony A7 Iii is a full-frame mirrorless camera that packs an impressive punch. The step-up in quality when compared to the Sony a6600 and Sony a6400 is piece of cake to see.
The full-frame sensor provides, meliorate depth of field (DOF), depression-light performance (the sensor is x2.five bigger than the Sony a6400 and Sony a6600, meaning larger and more sensitive pixels), and wider dynamic range.
So, aside from these more obvious differences, what else does the A7 III offer higher up and beyond the Sony a6400 and a6600?
Showtime, let’southward dig a little deeper into the improved autofocus and low-light performance. The Sony a7 III has an fantabulous standard ISO range of 100 – 51,200 versus 100 – 32,000 on the Sony a6600.
The contrast-detection and phase-detection autofocus accept been improved to 425/693 points spread across the sensor, which cover 93% of the frame. This is compared to the 84% of coverage on the Sony a6600. If y’all desire to capture fast-moving sports, in low-light, then this is tailor-fabricated for you lot.
The impressive five-axis in-body image stabilization in the a6600 is as well in this camera which will allow you to shoot smoother footage at longer focal lengths.
Honestly, I did have to piece of work hard to observe any negatives with this photographic camera performance-wise. Out of everything, I would accept to say the 30 minutes recording limit is the biggest let-down.
This would be plenty for many shooting scenarios but it might be difficult if you want to continuously shoot a sporting event.
The second upshot isn’t related to the camera specs itself but seems so avoidable. An external battery charger is not included, which is a pretty large bummer because the camera is at the college end in our price range.
- Very excellent low-light performance.
- Improved battery life over the Sony a6400 and has the same battery as the Sony a6600.
- Impressive autofocus that is inherited from Sony’s top of the line Sony a9.
- Dual media carte slots. This ways you lot tin can simultaneously tape to two dissimilar SD cards providing a backup to your footage or y’all can use it for extra memory capacity.
- Bigger body, more customizable buttons, and a joystick to motility the focus which all atomic number 82 to improve handling.
- An external bombardment charger is non supplied.
- 30 minutes recording limit.
four. Panasonic S5
The Panasonic S5 is the newest full-frame camera from Panasonic that takes all the goodness from the Panasonic GH5 which made information technology so pop with video shooters and makes information technology fifty-fifty ameliorate in all aspects.
At its current cost betoken (which is at about the same level as the Sony a7III), you get a much ameliorate value when because its video and slow-motion video capabilities. These extra frame charge per unit choices can exist nice to have especially if you want to capture high-quality slow-motion footage.
Near importantly the autofocus system in the S5 is the newest and best offer from Panasonic to date and is meliorate than what you find in the Panasonic GH5 and Panasonic G9. With that said, it’s depth from defocu
autofocus system is still not every bit proficient equally the Sony autofocus system. This is unfortunate as autofocus performance is one of the most important features when information technology comes to shooting sports.
For the video specs, you’re able to shoot in 4K UHD at up to 60 FPS in x bit (4k UHD 10 bit 4:ii:2 if shooting up to 30 FPS) and in Full Hd at up to 180 FPS in 10 bit as well. Only to give you a quick comparison, the Sony a7III can only shoot in 4k at upward to thirty FPS in viii chip and in 1080p upward to 120 FPS in 8 flake also.
Too, If you ever want the flexibility to output your video to an external recorder for the highest quality video codecs possible y’all too have the selection too. For example, if you lot tape externally, the S5 can shoot at an unreal RAW five.9k in 12 bit 4:2:two at upwards to 30 FPS. Of course, this would take more retention and you would have to edit the video footage before beingness able to use it.
Similar to the other Panasonic cameras, you besides get a fully articulating screen that is crisp and articulate fifty-fifty in daylight conditions, and the S5 too has of the best IBIS (In Body Prototype Stabilization) systems that you volition discover.
It’southward unfortunate that there is a record limit when shooting in 4K at 60 FPS or if you want to shoot 4K in 10-chip bit depth, but the video features that you find in this camera are difficult to compete with at its price point.
- You have the flexibility to shoot at a broad range of high-quality video frame rates such as 4K UHD up to 60 FPS and 1080p upwardly to 180 FPS.
- At that place is no tape limit when you’re shooting in 4K with an 8-bit chip depth.
- The S5 is a full-frame camera which means it has better low light performance and yous take more flexibility when cropping in (for instance the photographic camera has an APS-C size ingather when shooting in 4k 60 FPS.
- Very good IBIS arrangement.
- You have the ability to record in 4k 10-flake 4:two:ii which volition give you better video quality than the eight-flake codec plant in other cameras such as the Sony a7III.
- Has Panasonic’s newest autofocus offering and is improved when compared to the GH5 or G9.
- Impressive ergonomics with a bunch of customizable buttons and a joystick-like the Sony a7III
- A flip impact screen that fully articulates in all directions that is like to the Panasonic GH5 and Panasonic G9.
- Dual media card slots. This ways you can simultaneously record to two different SD cards providing a backup to your footage or y’all tin utilize it for extra retention capacity.
- Very adept value at its electric current price point because all of its video-specific features.
- Panasonic’s Depth from Defocus (DFD) autofocus system still doesn’t work likewise every bit the dissimilarity-detect and stage-notice autofocus system on the Sony a7III.
5. Panasonic GH5
Panasonic’s GH5 is a mirrorless
Micro 4 Thirds
that is the biggest competitor to the Sony a7 III in this article and is jam-packed full of video features.
Information technology shoots 4k up to 60 FPS and 1080p at 180 FPS which blows the Sony a7 3 away. Y’all also have the power to record the 4k footage in 10-chip four:2:two either internally or externally which is crazy considering the cost point it’s at.
When shooting outdoors in the daytime, the flip touch screen is like shooting fish in a barrel to use and is crisp and clear, no affair how bright the conditions were. The all-time office is that the screen fully articulates and then it makes information technology easy to shoot with it at any angle.
Still, the low-light ability and autofocus on the Panasonic GH5 are not as adept as the contrast-notice and stage-detect arrangement on the Sony A7 III.
This is probably the biggest downside of the camera especially when low-light ability and autofocus are two of the most of import features to have when shooting sports.
- The prototype quality is one of the all-time and you can shoot at crazy flexible high-resolution frame rates like 60 FPS at 4k and 180 FPS in 1080p.
- You tin tape in high-quality ten-bit 4:2:2 which volition give yous increased flexibility in post-production.
- Impressive ergonomics with a agglomeration of customizable buttons and a joystick-like the Sony a7 III
- A flip impact screen that fully articulates in all directions. The only other camera in this article with a fully articulating impact screen is the Panasonic Lumix G9.
- Dual media carte du jour slots. This means you tin can simultaneously record to 2 dissimilar SD cards providing a backup to your footage or you tin can use it for extra memory chapters.
- Good value equally range of features would be expected on a much more expensive camera.
- Low-light performance is not as good every bit the Sony A7 Iii.
- Panasonic’s Depth from Defocus (DFD) autofocus arrangement does not work too as the contrast-detect and phase-detect autofocus system on the Sony a7 Iii.
- It is a Micro Four Thirds sensor versus the APS-C sensor on the Sony a6400, Sony a6600, and Fujifilm Ten-T4 and the total-frame sensor on the Sony a7 Iii and Canon EOS R.
6. Panasonic Lumix G9
The Panasonic Lumix G9 is a Micro Four Thirds camera that was, in truth, more than focused on the photography market than the videography market place until the most
recent firmware update in 2019.
At the end of 2019, Panasonic released a firmware update that gave this camera many of the same video features found in the Panasonic GH5, and at present its besides a video powerhouse.
With the firmware update, the Panasonic Lumix G9 can at present record 4k thirty FPS at 10-bit 4:2:2 in camera. Yous also get the aforementioned crazy good flexible frame rates of 60 FPS at 4k and 180 FPS at 1080p on this camera now too.
The best office is that since the Lumix G9 is a newer model than the Panasonic GH5, you become improved autofocus, all the photography features that the Lumix G9 was originally known for, and the video-friendly ergonomics of the Panasonic cameras.
On the downside, even though the Lumix G9 has faster autofocus than the Panasonic GH5 information technology still does not compete with the contrast-detect and stage-detect autofocus system on the Sony cameras.
Likewise, even though the latest firmware update gave this photographic camera some unbelievable video features, in that location is yet a 10 minute record time limit when shooting 4k at 60fps and 30 minute record time limit when using 4k at 30fps.
When looking at a camera specifically for sports videography, this could be an upshot.
- With the 2019 firmware update, you become the same flexible high-resolution frame rates similar 60 FPS at 4k and 180 FPS in 1080p as found in the Panasonic GH5.
- You can tape in high-quality 10-bit 4:2:2 which will give yous increased flexibility in post-production.
- Impressive ergonomics with a agglomeration of customizable buttons and a joystick to motility the focus like the Sony a7 Three
- A flip touch screen that fully articulates in all directions.
- Dual media card slots like the Panasonic GH5 and Sony a7 III.
- Good value as you would wait this range of features to be on a much more expensive photographic camera.
- Limited 10-minute recording limit when shooting 4k at 60 FPS and thirty-infinitesimal recording limit when using 4k at 30 FPS.
- The autofocus and low-light adequacy are not as good as the Sony cameras.
vii. Fujifilm 10-T4
The Fujifilm X-T4 is an APS-C that builds upon the best functionalities of the 10-T3 and makes it an even better camera for video including increased bombardment life and the add-on of in-trunk image stabilization.
Like the Panasonic cameras, the Fujifilm X-T4 comes with some awesome frame rates and resolutions to choose from. On the 4k side, it can shoot up to 60 FPS in 4k and record internally at 10-scrap four:2:0, which is improve than the 8-chip scrap depth found on the Sony cameras.
On the high frame rate recording side, the 10-T4 can shoot at an impressive 240 FPS at 1080 which is amend than the maximum of 120 FPS in 1080 with the Sony a6400, a6600, and a7III. This is also an improvement from the 120 FPS found in the previous generation X-T3.
Of course, you also get the classic Fujifilm ergonomic design which means plenty of buttons and dials that you can customize in a variety of ways. This makes it much easier every bit you won’t have to dig through a menu organisation to discover what you need when y’all’re out shooting.
My favorite function about this camera is the xvi different flick simulation modes which include some famous Fuji moving picture stock like Provia, Velvia, and Eterna. This volition allow you to hands go some unique looking footage without the need for video editing software.
- sixteen dissimilar picture simulation modes that allow you to give your footage a unique look straight in-photographic camera.
- A wide variety of flexible resolutions and frame rates to shoot in.
- A large diverseness of native Fuji lenses and third-party lenses available.
- Actually good design ergonomics with a variety of customizable buttons and dials.
- The price is very reasonable considering what features y’all get.
- Has in-torso prototype stabilization which the Fujifilm X-T3 didn’t have.
- A flip screen that fully articulates in all directions.
- 30 minutes recording fourth dimension limit when shooting at 4k thirty FPS and 20 infinitesimal recording fourth dimension limit with 4k 60 FPS.
- The autofocus is non as good equally the Sony cameras.
- There have been reports of overheating when shooting in 4k/60 FPS.
eight. Sony RX10 4
The Sony RX10 Iv is a superzoom bridge camera (bridge between a betoken and shoot camera and a mirrorless). This ways the lens is built into the photographic camera and is non interchangeable.
The reason why I like this camera so much for recording sports is its incredible telephoto lens which is equivalent to 24-600mm. This flexible focal range will allow you to zoom in far enough when you demand to go shut to the activity, but it’southward also broad enough if you need to capture more of the playing field. Information technology also has built-in Optical SteadyShot which will help y’all shine out your footage at longer focal lengths, although, it’s probably nonetheless improve to utilise some sort of tripod.
It shoots very skilful quality 4k and has a wide selection of ho-hum-motion frame rates. Information technology fifty-fifty has the popular Sony High Frame Rate manner which will allow you to tape at extremely high frame rates such as 250, 500, and 960 FPS. This could come up in handy for certain sports such as baseball or golf game if you lot want to slow down the swing to analyze it.
The big downside with this camera is its poor battery life and small 1″ sensor and bombardment life.
The small sensor won’t exist a large deal if you lot’re usually shooting outdoor day games in vivid low-cal. However, if you tend to record generally night games or sports played indoors such as basketball or hockey, the depression-calorie-free performance won’t be the all-time given its one” sensor. Additionally, the photographic camera uses the notoriously poor-performing Sony NP-FW50 battery, so you lot will need multiple batteries to arrive through the game or match.
- Crazy flexible zoom range from 24-600mm so you’ll easily be able to zoom in and out when needed.
- Good quality 4k and a wide selection of flexible slow-motion frame rates.
- Autofocus is just equally skilful every bit professional Sony cameras similar the Sony a7 III or Sony a9.
- Poor bombardment life, and then you lot’ll need to carry around many spare batteries in society to become through the game or match.
- Small sensor then it doesn’t have good low-light operation.
- The lens is not interchangeable.
- For effectually the same price bespeak, you can get an interchangeable lens camera with a much larger sensor.
9. GoPro Hero9
GoPro is undoubtedly the get-to activity camera with the best quality in its category. If you’re going to movie on or in the water, or want to capture an action sport like mountain biking or snowboarding from the start-person perspective, and then a GoPro is certainly ane of the best options.
The GoPro Hero9 is the newest model and it continues to improve on the most popular features from previous generations of GoPros. Notably, the GoPro Hero9 features improved stabilization, longer battery life, and is now able to record in 5k at upwards to 30 FPS which is pretty incredible.
If you have an older GoPro model, such as the GoPro Hero7 or below, this will be a dainty upgrade. Nonetheless, if yous have the GoPro Hero8, you lot can probably expect until the Hero10 is released every bit the upgrades are not as drastic.
When information technology comes to the differences between the GoPro Hero9 and GoPro Hero8, here are the biggest improvements that you’ll see:
The GoPro Hero9 has a maximum resolution of 5k in 24 FPS or 30 FPS versus the 4k on the GoPro Hero8. Additionally, on the photography side, you have a xx-megapixel camera vs a 12-megapixel camera.
The GoPro Hero9 has the new and improved HyperSmooth 3.0 which features GoPro’s built-in horizon leveling technology. This is pretty cool as information technology will automatically level your horizon during the activeness.
Longer Bombardment Life:
The GoPro Hero9 uses a new larger battery which will give you 30% more than battery life.
The lens on the GoPro Hero9 is now detachable so if you always scratch the lens, you lot tin can just replace it. This besides enables you lot to attach different lenses to the GoPro such every bit the GoPro Max Lens Mod (for a wider field of view) or ND filters.
Historically, ane of the best parts nearly GoPro cameras is their wide range of different video frame rates to cull from and the GoPro Hero9 is no exception. Now with the addition of 5k, yous’re able to shoot in 5k at upwardly to 30 FPS, 4k at up to 60 FPS, ii.7k at upwards to 120 FPS, and 1080p at upwards to 240 FPS.
Plain, this is more of a specialized camera and will only exist a good fit if you’re looking for an action photographic camera.
Compared to the mirrorless cameras in this article, the GoPro Hero9 has limited focal length options, shorter battery life, and volition exist harder to apply when recording about sports.
With that said, if you’re looking for the all-time action photographic camera money tin buy, this is the one.
- Has GoPro’s new and improved HyperSmooth iii.0 which features built-in horizon leveling technology.
- Very flexible range of video frame rates to choose from including 5k at up to 30 FPS and even 2.7k at upwards to 120 FPS.
- Timewarp three.0 allows you lot to capture cool hyperlapse style videos. The camera will automatically sense and adjust the speed and stabilization needed based on what you’re shooting.
- Is able to shoot in 5k at up to 30 FPS making it the only camera in this article capable of shooting in 5k.
- Has a detachable lens that allows yous to easily supervene upon lenses if you need to or add modes and ND filters.
- Uses a bigger battery that gives you lot 30% more battery life versus the previous generations of GoPro Cameras.
- Even so an activity photographic camera and then there is a lack of constructive zoom for capturing other sports.
- The front-facing screen is a footling laggy so yous can simply use it to preview your composition.
- For but a piddling more money you could buy a mirrorless photographic camera which would give you more flexibility when shooting.
- Older GoPro batteries are not compatible with this camera. So, if you have an older GoPro and are thinking virtually upgrading, you’ll accept to purchase new batteries.
10. AKASO V50 Elite 4K Activeness Photographic camera
The AKASO V50 is one of my
favorite upkeep action cameras
in the marketplace correct now. Yous can usually detect information technology at about 1/4 the price of the Hero8, so the amount of coin you tin salve past getting the AKASO is significant.
Don’t exist fooled by this being a budget camera, though. The video quality and frame rates offered in this action camera even so hold their ain when comparing to the much more expensive GoPro Hero9
The AKASO V50 can shoot 30 and 60 FPS at 4k, 60 FPS at 2k, and 120 FPS at 1080p.
It also comes with a bunch of boosted accessories including unlike mounts, a couple of batteries, and a waterproof case.
Evidently, when money isn’t an consequence, the GoPro Hero9 is the action camera to become with. All the same, if you’re on a tight budget or merely want a side photographic camera to shoot action sports every so frequently with, the AKASO V50 is a great choice.
In many means, this has similar pitfalls and positives of the Hero8. It’s an action camera at heart, so there is no additional zoom range, it does not perform very well in low-light and the battery life is shorter.
- A very reasonable cost for a budget action camera that shoots in 4k.
- 131 feet waterproof depth rating with the waterproof case.
- Decent congenital-in paradigm stabilization.
- A wide selection of flexible frame rates at the toll with 30 and threescore FPS at 4k, and 120 FPS at 1080p.
- No sound if information technology’due south in a waterproof example unlike the GoPro Hero9
- Notwithstanding an activeness camera so there is a lack of effective zoom for capturing other sports.
- The GoPro Hero9 still offers the all-time features and best video quality in the action camera category.
Breakdown of Camera Features to Expect for past Sport
Since each sport is different, I created this section to help y’all get a amend idea of what camera performance characteristics to consider based on the sport you will exist recording. If you don’t see your sport just find one of the sports that is listed which is played in like conditions. For example, if y’all’re looking for a camera to shoot indoor volleyball, the camera characteristics you should look for are very similar to basketball game.
Every bit e’er, experience free to get out a comment below or email me directly at
with any specific sports-related questions. I’m e’er happy to help!
You volition mainly remain in one location when watching baseball, so the camera will be doing all the work for y’all. A mirrorless camera with practiced in-body epitome stabilization and a reliable zoom lens or a bridge photographic camera with a flexible focal length will give y’all the ability to zoom in and out of the activity when needed.
Proficient Photographic camera Choices:
- If mainly recording day games: Whatever of the Sony, Panasonic, or Fujifilm cameras.
- If mainly recording nighttime games:
Sony a7 III,
Fujifilm X-T4, or Panasonic S5
Most of you lot volition exist recording games indoors, then the low-light power of the photographic camera is fundamental. This, coupled with the fast pace of the game, volition make fast autofocus and autofocus tracking important features of the photographic camera also.
Expert Camera Choices:
- For the best autofocus and low-calorie-free performance:
Sony a6600, Sony a6400, or Sony a7 Iii
- For the highest quality video features (4k 60 FPS in 10-bit) in combination with depression-lite performance:
A bigger playing field ways a long lens with a camera with in-body image stabilization over again. Since football game is mainly played during the solar day fourth dimension, nether floodlights at night, or in a well lit indoor stadium, it ways the importance of low-calorie-free operation will depend on what time of 24-hour interval the games you attend are usually played.
A mirrorless camera with proficient in-torso prototype stabilization and a reliable zoom lens or a bridge photographic camera with a flexible focal length will give you the ability to zoom in and out of the activity when needed. The autofocus performance is also important for when you want to focus in on a specific player during a play.
Expert Camera Choices:
- If mainly recording twenty-four hours games: bang-up all-in-one solution –
Sony RX10 Four
- If mainly recording night games:
Sony a6600, Sony a6400, Sony a7 Three, Fujifilm 10-T4,
or Panasonic S5
The size of a soccer field is similar to Football game. It’s another sport that can be played outside, nether floodlights at dark or indoors, so the importance of low-low-cal performance will depend on what time of mean solar day the game usually takes identify.
You’ll probably be shooting a wide shot of the action or focusing in on a role player. Considering of this, a mirrorless camera with skilful in-body epitome stabilization and a reliable zoom lens or a span camera with a flexible focal length will give you the ability to zoom in and out of the action when needed. The autofocus performance is also important for when yous want to focus in on a specific player during the game.
Good Photographic camera Choices:
- If mainly recording twenty-four hour period games: great all-in-ane solution –
Sony RX10 IV
- If mainly recording night or indoor games:
Sony a6600, Sony a6400, Sony a7 III, or Fujifilm Ten-T4
Hockey is played indoors and outdoors, so you may have to think about the depression-light performance of your camera. Similar to basketball game, Hockey is extremely fast-paced and you’ll be at a closer distance to the action than other sports and so y’all’ll desire a camera with above-average autofocus and autofocus tracking too.
Good Camera Choices:
- For the all-time autofocus and low-light operation:
Sony a6600, Sony a6400, or Sony a7 III
- For the highest quality video features (4k 60 FPS in ten-flake) in combination with depression-light functioning:
Volleyball is unremarkably played indoors and then you’ll first desire to look for a camera with expert low-light performance. You will likely be able to sit closer to the courtroom of play and the activity is non as continuous every bit hockey or basketball and so the autofocus functioning of the camera doesn’t accept to exist as fast. All the same, when the action starts, it’s still fast, so reliable autofocus tracking can be beneficial.
Good Camera Choices:
- For the best autofocus and low-light performance:
Sony a6600, Sony a6400, or Sony a7 3
- For the highest quality video features (4k 60 FPS in 10-bit) in combination with depression-light performance:
or Panasonic S5
For the almost role, you’re going to exist walking effectually the course with the player you’re recording. During the round, you’ll probably exist recording from a multifariousness of distances. Y’all might exist 300 yards away when the player is teeing off or you might be simply a few yards away when they’re chipping or putting on the dark-green. Considering of this, a photographic camera with a flexible zoom range and proficient epitome stabilization is nigh important.
Secondly, since you’ll be walking the unabridged golf form with the player, you’ll probably benefit from a lighter, more than compact set up. Since the circular will take identify during the day time, the depression-light performance of the camera isn’t as big of an issue. Additionally, since the player remains in a stock-still position relative to you lot during their swing, autofocus performance isn’t as loftier of a priority either.
Good Camera Choices:
- Best All-in-One Solution:
Sony RX10 IV
Lawn tennis is another sport that tin be played outdoors during the mean solar day or night or indoors, and then the importance of low-light performance of the camera will depend on what time of solar day the lucifer usually takes place.
During well-nigh matches, y’all’ll probably be able to set-up relatively close to the court and you’ll almost likely be shooting a wide angle shot of the entire court or focusing in on one of the players. Because of this having a wide focal length would exist benign to allow yous to zoom in and out of the activeness when necessary.
When you’re focusing in on a specific player, their movements can exist just equally unpredictable as whatever other sport and then autofocus and autofocus tracking functioning tin can help too.
Expert Camera Choices:
- If mainly recording matches during the mean solar day: all-time All-in-One Solution:
Sony RX10 Iv
- If mainly recording matches at dark or indoors:
Sony a6600, Sony a6400, Sony a7 Three, or Fujifilm X-T4
Extreme Sports and Watersports: Snowboarding, Skiing, Skydiving, Surfing
For extreme sports like these, you’ll have to first decide if you desire to capture the activeness from a outset-person or third-person signal of view. Plain, if you want to capture the activity from the first-person bespeak of view, an action camera will exist your best bet. On the other hand, if you’re shooting the action from a third-person perspective, you’ll probably demand a broad zoom range to go shut enough to the activity with in-body epitome stabilization to keep your footage stable.
- Premium option from a kickoff-person perspective:
- Budget choice:
Akaso V50 Elite
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best camera to live stream youth sports?
The beginning question you lot need to respond is if you lot’ll accept access to a computer to connect to your camera?
If you practise, then one of the better budget streaming options is the Sony a6100. This camera has the same autofocus arrangement and sensor as the more than expensive Sony a6400 and Sony a6600, and so you get the aforementioned great 4k video and depression-light performance, but at a cheaper price bespeak. The biggest divergence is that the Sony a6100 and a6400 don’t have built-in prototype stabilization.
The nice thing about the Sony cameras is that they accept released a new free streaming software called “Imaging Edge Webcam” that allows you to easily set-up a Sony camera for streaming purposes.
If you don’t accept access to a computer and demand to live stream directly from the camera, the best choice in this article is the GoPro Hero9.
The prissy thing about the GoPro is that you tin stream and record the footage simultaneously and you don’t need whatever additional physical connections to enable streaming. To stream, you would connect the GoPro through its app on your phone and and then choose to stream through Facebook or YouTube.
With the GoPro there are a couple of downsides from both a streaming perspective and every bit a video camera. The downside with streaming is that in order to stream you’ll have to connect information technology to WiFi or a hotspot. So, when you’re at the playing field, you’ll either need a personal hotspot or rely on the WiFi connection in the gym. Unfortunately, you’re not able to stream directly through the data plan on your phone.
For recording video itself, the biggest limitation is the field of view. Since the GoPro is primarily an activity camera yous’re limited to the broad-angle field of view and will not be able to zoom in and out on the activity.