Without a doubt, the Fujifilm X-T4 is a very advanced, and highly capable stills and video camera, thanks to its fantabulous image quality, v-axis in-body image stabilization, and a fast processor capable of treatment ten-bit 4K video at lx FPS. Despite its many strengths, the Fuji X-T4 has enough of controls and bill of fare options that can be hard to grasp, even for seasoned photographers. In this article, I volition go through most of the camera controls, equally well as the menu organization of the camera, which will hopefully help our readers in understanding the photographic camera a little better.
Controls and Treatment
Just similar its predecessors, the Fuji X-T4 has a number of dials, buttons, and controls that perform unlike functions. Let’s go through each one of them, starting from the front of the camera.
Front of Photographic camera
Beneath is an overview of all the buttons and features around the mountain, as well as the front punch (from left to right):
- Front Control Dial: Can control certain settings depending on how y’all’ve prepare up the camera. For instance, in the Set Up Menu, prepare “ISO Punch Setting (A)” to “Command” (Set Up -> Push button/Dial Setting) and you can use this control dial to alter your ISO settings any time y’all have the elevation ISO dial fix to A (Auto).
- Lamp: AF-Aid Illuminator shines light when in that location is not plenty ambient light for focusing, or when self-timer is engaged.
- Function Button (Fn2): Customizable. I go along it at default “Drive” value.
- Lens Release Button: Hold the button and rotate the lens to detach it.
- M/C/S Switch:
- M: Transmission Focus, although you tin nevertheless printing the AE-L push to autofocus, yous tin’t rails a subject area across the frame when focusing this style. If yous have assigned “Focus Bank check” to a certain push in the Gear up Upwardly menu, or enabled the dedicated “Focus Check” option in the AF/MF carte, autofocusing in M manner volition magnify your LCD screen or electronic viewfinder view.
- C: Continuous Servo Autofocus, where the Ten-T4 focuses continuously when you concord down the shutter push and doesn’t cease (unless you lot printing the AE-L button and lock focus). Use this way when shooting moving subjects. “Focus Bank check” doesn’t work in Continuous Servo Autofocus fashion, and neither does manual focus.
- Southward: Unmarried Servo Autofocus, where the X-T4 focuses in one case and locks down later on it has acquired focus. This is the all-time mode to utilize when your subject is stationary. Subsequently autofocus has locked on in this mode, you tin can spin the focus ring or press your assigned Focus Cheque role push to magnify your focus point and suit as needed. This is the mode I tend to use the most on my X-T4.
- Sync Terminal: For connecting external flash units.
Top of Camera
Next, let’south go over the acme of the photographic camera:
- ISO Setting / Bulldoze Dial: Rotate this dial to change your ISO. By default, I go on it at “A” for Car ISO. One time you lot cull a value, y’all tin can press the button on the top to lock it. The lesser of the punch allows irresolute the camera Drive.
- Diopter Adjustment Control: Adjust diopter to brand viewfinder clearer and tailored to your optics.
- View Style Button: For switching between EVF and LCD. You lot tin can disable the viewfinder entirely, or enable information technology exclusively (disabling the rear LCD). Y’all tin can also set it to notice your eye, switching betwixt the rear LCD and the viewfinder when you look through the viewfinder, or disabling the rear LCD entirely and simply turning on the viewfinder when you wait through it. I set mine to Eye Sensor + LCD Image Disp, so that the camera automatically switches betwixt EVF and LCD.
- Shutter Speed / Still-Movie Dial: Use this dial to modify your shutter speed. Set information technology to “T” and use the rear command dial if you adopt adjusting shutter speed that style. I typically ready mine to “A” and set aperture through the lens, in guild to shoot in Aperture Priority fashion. The Nonetheless / Movie dial on the bottom is to just switch betwixt stills and video shooting modes.
- Function Button (Fn1): A customizable function push button. I set mine to “AF Mode” to be able to speedily switch between different autofocus modes, every bit pointed out below.
- On/Off Switch / Shutter Release Button: Use the switch to turn the camera on / off, half-press the middle button to focus, and fully release the push button to take a motion picture.
- Exposure Compensation Dial: The punch allows going from -three EV to +three EV of exposure compensation. You can also set it to Custom (C) value and go as far as
Dorsum of Camera
Lastly, permit’s review the back of the camera, once again from left to right:
- Trash button: Deletes images.
- Review push: Plays back your images.
- AF-ON push button: Dedicated button for back-push button focusing.
- Rear Command Dial: Tin can serve a number of functions, including changing shutter speed if yous accept the top shutter speed dial gear up to T. You can also scroll this cycle to change the size of your autofocus zone in one case y’all press in the joystick. And in playback mode, button in this dial to instantly jump to magnified view. Notation that due to a blueprint flaw on Fuji cameras, you need to exist shooting RAW + JPEG rather than just RAW if you want to magnify your photos to 100% in playback mode.
- Q button: Pops up a quick carte du jour where you can modify some mutual settings. You tin can adjust your personal Q carte in the “Edit/Save Quick Menu” setting in the X-T4’s Gear up menu.
- AE-Fifty push: By default, property this button locks exposure. You can customize the button in the “Function (Fn) Setting” card within the Prepare menu (Gear up Up -> Button/Dial Setting). I adopt changing the menu selection “AE/AF-L Lock Mode” to “AE&AF On/Off Switch”, and then that simply pressing the AE-L button locks autofocus, without having to proceed to hold it.
- Joystick: This is how you move autofocus points. Press in the joystick and rotate the rear command dial to alter the size of your autofocus zone.
- Menu / OK push: Enters the bill of fare and selects items.
- Left, Down, and Right Arrow Buttons: Fully customizable role buttons, assigned via the “Function (Fn) Setting” options in the Set menu (nether the “Button/Punch Setting” header).
- DISP/Dorsum: Changes the data displayed on your LCD or viewfinder while taking photos, or to go dorsum when navigating in the 10-T4’due south menu system.
Fuji X-T4 Camera Settings
In the next section, nosotros will take a deep dive into the camera menu in order to set it upward optimally. Please keep in mind that while these recommendations piece of work for my needs, they might non be suitable for all apply cases. There is a proficient reason why Fuji has then many menu options and customizations. Feel free to use the below as your starting bespeak, and customize, every bit needed.
Epitome Quality Setting
- Prototype Size: Grayed-out (when shooting RAW); when shooting JPEG or RAW + JPEG pick “50 3:2” for maximum size
- Image Quality: RAW
- RAW Recording: Lossless Compressed
- Moving-picture show Simulation: Standard (doesn’t affect RAW photo)
- Monochromatic Color: Default
- Grain Effect: Off (doesn’t affect RAW photo)
- Color Chrome Effect: Off (doesn’t affect RAW photo)
- Color Chrome FX Blue: Off (doesn’t touch RAW photo)
- White Residuum: Auto (doesn’t touch RAW photo)
- Dynamic Range: DR 100% (doesn’t affect RAW photo)
- D Range Priority: Off (doesn’t touch RAW photo)
- Tone Bend: Default (doesn’t affect RAW photo)
- Highlight Tone: 0 (doesn’t touch on RAW photo)
- Shadow Tone: 0 (doesn’t touch on RAW photo)
- Color: 0 (doesn’t affect RAW photograph)
- Sharpness: 0 (doesn’t affect RAW photo)
- Loftier ISO NR: 0 (doesn’t affect RAW photo)
- Clarity: 0 (doesn’t affect RAW photograph)
- Long Exposure NR: For long exposures, the camera will take ii photos: 1 of the actual scene, and some other with the shutter curtain airtight that is simply a “night frame.” The dark frame volition still have some noise and hot pixels, which the X-T4 so subtracts from the actual photo, giving a result with less noise. Turn information technology on if you don’t listen waiting twice as long for long exposure photos to capture, and turn it off if you lot’re willing to accept some extra noise in exchange for a faster capture process.
- Lens Modulation Optimizer: Off
- Colour Space: Adobe RGB (doesn’t bear on RAW photo, but a scrap more than accurate for histograms than sRGB)
- Pixel Mapping: Tells the Fuji X-T4 to read its ain sensor for hot pixels in order to subtract them from photos (including RAW). It’s worth doing this from time to time, especially if you start seeing new hot pixels announced in your images.
- Select Custom Setting: Selects amid the custom settings you create from the Edit/Salvage Custom Setting menu choice below.
- Edit/Salve Custom Setting: Allows you to create combinations of JPEG-merely settings, such as sharpness, noise reduction, dynamic range, and and then on, to form a detail look. You lot don’t need to create these unless you lot are shooting JPEG, or you want to touch how the in-photographic camera preview of images appear when you review them.
- Mount Adaptor Setting: 21mm.
- Focus Surface area: Shows all focus points and lets you lot select yours, akin to pressing in the joystick. Turn the rear dial to modify the size of your focusing zone.
- AF Mode: Single Point, since it gives you the finest command for focusing in most cases. If you lot want to track subjects, it is best to employ Wide/Tracking and and then enable continuous autofocus via the switch on the left of the photographic camera. To rail subjects across a smaller portion of the frame, simply not just a single point, apply Zone and change its size to suit your needs past pressing in the joystick and then turning the rear dial to change the size of your focusing zone.
- AF-C Custom Settings: The default value of 1 (Multi Purpose) works well for most subjects. Depending on what you are shooting, you might want to suit this setting.
- Store AF Mode past Orientation: For storing focus points differently when shooting vertical vs horizontal. I set mine to “On”.
- AF Signal Display: This just matters when you are in Zone or Wide/Tracking AF Modes, non Single Point. Information technology simply shows your focusing points, which some photographers volition find helpful and others distracting. I go out mine Off.
- Number of Focus Points: 425 (only bachelor in Single Point) since it gives you the almost control. Some prefer 117 simply considering you can switch between them faster, since fewer focus points are available.
- Pre-AF: This is continuous autofocus, prior to taking the photo, on the point you select. Its goal is not to runway your subject area, but to make it faster to autofocus when you actually want to capture a photograph, since your focusing is already close to optimal. However, it can be quite spastic and distracting, and so I tend to exit it off.
- AF Illuminator: On, shines a light to help focus on nearby objects in night environments. Can be annoying if you are photographing people, so you lot may want to plow it off.
- Face/Center Detection Setting: Depends upon your subject, simply you have enough of options hither. I tend to get out mine at Face On/Heart Auto, which detects and focuses on the person’s face up and the nearest heart. If yous want special control to but focus on the left or right heart, this is where yous would practice so.
- AF+MF: On, allows you to manually focus even when in autofocus fashion by turning the focusing ring on the lens (only later on autofocusing already).
- MF Assistance: This one is downwardly to personal preference in terms of which visual aids you lot prefer when focusing manually. Personally, I tend to exit information technology either at standard (which does zero additional to assist when you lot are manually focusing) merely sometimes choose Focus Peak Highlight with Red High in order to emphasize the verbal parts of the bailiwick that are the sharpest.
- Focus Check: This is merely used when you are in manual focus mode (accessed via the switch on the side of the camera) or unmarried-servo autofocus and accept already focused. When on, this magnifies your focusing area to make information technology easier to focus manually each time you lot turn the lens’s focusing band. I almost e’er leave it on, equally otherwise, information technology can be difficult to tell which areas of the photo are as sharp as possible, even with something like focus peaking enabled.
- Interlock Spot AE & Focus Area: On, since it means that your metering arrangement (when using spot metering) bases its reading upon the focus signal, not a small point in the centre of your frame.
- Instant AF Setting: Fifty-fifty when you are in manual focus mode on the X-T4, you will have the ability to autofocus past pressing the AF-ON button. This setting controls whether yous want to focus continuously as you concord down the button, or just once. I almost ever keep it on AF-S for single-servo autofocus, just if I am trying to rail a moving subject, I occasionally switch to AF-C.
- Depth-of-Field Scale: When a focus indicator is displayed, either with the depth of field preview button or one of the cycles of the DISP push, this option changes what the Ten-T4 tells you is “in focus.” I recommend selecting Pixel Footing because information technology is more stringent. Film Basis can exist as well relaxed about what counts equally in focus versus not in focus.
- Release/Focus Priority
- AF-S Priority Selection: Release. I prefer to have the camera accept a photo when I click the shutter. Some will adopt this option to be “Focus” to make sure the X-T4 believes it is focused properly before it allows you to take a photo.
- AF-C Priority Choice: Release, aforementioned reason
- Bear upon Screen Mode: AF. I prefer using the touchscreen to select a focus point and focus on it.
Shooting Setting Menu
- Drive Setting: Cull from different drive settings and customize them. I personally ready my Bracketing Setting for the following: Bkt Select -> AE Bkt. AE Bkt -> iii Frames, 1 EV Step. Sequence Setting -> “- 0 +”
- Sports Finder Way: Off. Use this for shooting fast activity. It enables ane.25x crop (shows the ingather frame in the viewfinder) and allows capturing images with zero blackouts.
- Pre-Shot ES: Off. When shooting activeness, the camera volition start capturing images when the shutter release is half-pressed. I would recommend keeping this turned off unless you are shooting something critical.
- Self-Timer: Off for taking photos without a filibuster, ii seconds for tripod-based landscape piece of work, x seconds when yous need to run in front of the camera and join a group photo.
- Salve Cocky-Timer Setting: On. This allows you to save the state of the self-timer mode, so that it stays in that way even later on you turn the camera on and off.
- Cocky-Timer Lamp: On. This blinks the lamp in front end of the camera when the self-timer style is activated.
- Interval Timer Shooting: For taking fourth dimension-lapses. Information technology lets y’all select the interval between shots and the total number of photos.
- Interval Timer Shooting Exposure Smoothing: On. Makes sure that the exposure changes don’t happen as well quickly when shooting time-lapses.
- Photometry: Allows changing the photographic camera’southward metering mode. Past default, I keep mine on “Multi”, but occasionally switch to “Spot” when I need to engage spot metering.
- Shutter Type: E-Front end + Mechanical + Electronic. The camera automatically switches between different shutter types depending on the shutter speed.
- Flicker Reduction: On.
- IS Manner: Continuous. Engages in-trunk image stabilization continuously.
- ISO Car Setting: Lets you suit the behavior of Auto ISO. This is an important setting, and the X-T4 gives you lot the ability to set up up to 3 unlike Auto ISO defaults that you can select depending upon the occasion. “Default Sensitivity” is the ISO that the X-T4 volition endeavour to use. Information technology will but utilize a higher ISO if your scene is dark enough that your shutter speed has reached the “Min Shutter Speed” value you fix. “Max Sensitivity” is the highest ISO value that the Ten-T4 will use, no matter what. If you lot’re taking pictures in such a dark scene that your Max Sensitivity and Min Shutter Speed values have already been reached, the X-T4 volition utilize longer shutter speeds rather than increase ISO whatsoever further. I set mine to “Auto ii”, with ISO 160 set as Default Sensitivity, ISO 1600 set as Max Sensitivity and Auto set as Min Shutter Speed.
- Multi Exposure: Off. Used for shooting several images and combining them into a single one.
- Wireless Communication: Lets y’all sync the X-T4 to an app on your phone.
Wink Setting Carte du jour
- Flash Function Setting: Main flash control. Off when yous don’t need flash, typically TTL when you do (through-the-lens automatic flash). Go out at default settings.
- Red Eye Removal: Off
- TTL-Lock Fashion: TTL Lock gives you a consequent flash exposure beyond several images when enabled (which must be washed via a custom function push you assign). This chooses whether the exposure is locked at the prior metered exposure or by metering via a set of pre-flashes.
- LED Lite Setting: Lets y’all employ the video low-cal on your flash to act as a focus assistance beam and/or a catchlight. Go along it off unless you accept a demand for either of those features. Grayed out except with external wink.
- Master Setting: Choose a wink group for a hotshoe-mounted flash, or plough it off and light the photo entirely with off-camera flash. Grayed out unless using external flash.
- CH Setting: Aqueduct for master and remote flash communication
Set Up Menu
- User Setting
- Format: To format your memory card
- Date/Time: To change the photographic camera’due south internal clock
- Time Difference: To tell the X-T4 when you are in a different time zone and adapt the internal clock accordingly
- Linguistic communication: Select default language
- My Carte Settings (divide for stills and movies): Add, rank, and remove items from your “My Bill of fare” – very useful
- Sensor Cleaning: To make clean camera sensor
- Battery Age: Let’south you bank check the age of your battery
- Reset: Lets you reset all Shooting carte or Set menu settings
- Regulatory: Shows regulatory information for different regions
- Audio Setting
- AF Beep Vol: Off
- Cocky-Timer Beep Vol: Off
- Functioning Vol: Off
- Shutter Volume: Off if you want only noises from the mechanical shutter. For 100% silent operation, plow this off and enable electronic shutter only (from “Shutter Type” under the Shooting Setting menu). If it’s disconcerting to hear no racket at all while taking pictures with the electronic shutter, such equally when looking through the optical viewfinder, turn the volume to low.
- Shutter Sound: I prefer the first sound because I find it to be the virtually realistic.
- Playback Volume: For playing back movies. I tend to leave it at 7 or so.
- Screen Setting
- EVF Brightness: Auto
- EVF Color: 0
- EVF Colour Aligning: Default
- LCD Effulgence: 0
- LCD Color: 0
- LCD Color Adjustment: Default
- Paradigm Disp: How long your photograph pops up on the rear screen or electronic viewfinder subsequently capture. Ready information technology to “Off” if yous don’t desire whatsoever display at all, and 0.5, 1.5, or Continuous if you want some length of post-capture image display.
- Autorotate Displays: Whether or not the EVF data display rotates as y’all alter camera orientation. I exit information technology On.
- Preview Exposure/White Rest in Manual Mode: Preview EXP/WB, then that you see a preview on the rear LCD and EVF of how vivid the photo will be after taking it. Simply relevant when aperture, shutter speed, and ISO are all set manually.
- Natural Live View: Off
- F-Log View Aid: On
- Framing Guideline: Filigree 9 (personal preference, but I find Filigree 24 too distracting and Hard disk Framing unhelpful for stills)
- Autorotate PB: Off. This 1 is important; left On, your vertical photos will automatically rotate during image review, taking upwards a smaller portion of the LCD. When Off, you can just rotate the camera to review vertical photos more effectively.
- Focus Calibration Units: Meters versus Anxiety
- Aperture Unit for Cinema Lens: T Number
- Dual Display Setting: R: Focus, L: Frame
- Disp. Custom Setting: Choose the data displayed in the optical viewfinder and the EVF/rear LCD. There are a lot of options here, and it’south all personal preference, but I recommend turning off annihilation that is unnecessary for your piece of work simply to eliminate distractions.
- Large Indicators Mode (EVF/OVF): Increase the size of information displayed in the viewfinder (both OVF and EVF).
- Large Indicators Mode (LCD): Increase the size of information displayed on the rear LCD.
- Large Indicators Display Setting: Selection which settings and icons will be increased in size when you lot have Large Indicators Fashion turned on.
- Information Contrast Adj.: Standard
- Q Bill of fare Background: Transparent (for both stills and movies)
- Button/Punch Setting
- Focus Lever Setting: Affects whether moving the joystick changes autofocus points. When set up to Lock, you can’t motility autofocus points with the joystick at all. Set to “Button Joystick to Unlock,” you lot can just start moving your autofocus points when you push in the joystick once. Set to On, you movement autofocus points whatever time you move the joystick. I go along it On.
- Edit/Salvage Quick Bill of fare (stills and movies): A very useful option to adapt the layout and content of the Quick Menu (accessed past pressing the Q button). Alter this to conform your shooting style and almost often accessed controls.
- Function (Fn) Setting: Lets you assign custom functions to six FN buttons, four bear on controls, AE-L, AF-ON, rear dial and Q button. This is down to personal preference, but it is a skilful way to admission settings you utilise all the time without inbound a menu. Here is what I fix to mine, in order: Fn1 (AF Manner), Fn2 (Drive), Fn3 (Photometry), Fn4 (ISO Auto Setting), Fn5 (Face Detection On/Off), Fn6 (Preview Depth of Field), T-Fn1 (Histogram), T-Fn2 (Performance), T-Fn3 (Natural Live View), T-Fn4 (Electronic Level), AE-50 (AE-L), AF-ON (AF-ON), R-Punch (Focus Check), Q (Q).
- Selector Button Setting: Fn Push.
- Command Dial Setting: (1) Aperture, (2) Exposure Bounty, (iii) ISO, (Rear) SS.
- Shutter AF: AF-S (ON), AF-C (ON)
- Shutter AE: AF-Southward/MF (ON), AF-C (ON)
- Shoot Without Lens: On
- Shoot Without Card: Off
- Focus Ring: The management you lot rotate the focus ring, equally viewed from behind the photographic camera, to focus toward infinity. This is some other personal preference; I am a Nikon shooter, so I prefer clockwise.
- Focus Ring Operation: Nonlinear
- AE/AF-Fifty Lock Manner: Determines whether the AE-L button must exist held down continually in society to lock your settings, or whether information technology locks afterwards one printing and stays until you printing the button a 2d time. I ready my X-T4 to On/Off Switch (S) to become the latter behavior, since I don’t similar holding downwardly the button in club to lock autofocus.
- AWB-Lock Fashion: AWB On When Pressing.
- Aperture Band Setting (A): Automobile
- Aperture Setting: Grayed Out
- Bear upon Screen Setting: On, Off, On, On, Right Side of the screen. I honey the ability to move focus points while viewing through the EVF by moving my pollex on the rear LCD. The right side of the screen works best for this.
- Lock: Default
- Power Direction
- Machine Ability Off: 2 Min (personal preference)
- Operation: Normal
- EVF/LCD Boost Setting: EVF/LCD Resolution Priority.
- Salvage Data Fix-Up
- Frame Number: Continuous. If y’all select Renew, the camera volition begin file names from 0001 each time y’all format your retentiveness card or insert a new one, resulting in more than photos with duplicate names
- Save Org Paradigm: Off. When On, saves two copies of a photo when redeye reduction is enabled (one without the reduction practical). No other effect on your photos.
- Edit File Proper name: You can give your photos custom file names to start the prototype, such as FUJ_0001. I customize this for each camera I own in order to reduce indistinguishable file names from multiple cameras. The X-T4 lets you choose different file names for sRGB and Adobe RGB images.
- Bill of fare Slot Setting (Stills and Movies): Sequential.
- Select Slot (Stills and Movies): i
- Select Binder: Don’t Change
- Copyright info: Fill up in your information in instance y’all lose your camera or it gets stolen.
- Connectedness Setting: Fix your preferences for connecting the 10-T4 to other devices, including a phone.
Movie Setting Carte du jour
If you switch the dial under the shutter speed punch to “Movie”, your camera menu options will change accordingly. I am not going to comprehend these settings, because they are very specific to motion-picture show shooting, and tin can vary greatly depending on your needs.
I promise you notice the recommended settings to a higher place useful for setting up your Fuji 10-T4. If you lot take any questions about the information in this guide, feel free to ask in the comments section below.