Having the all-time lenses for nuptials photography will assist y’all capture those special moments, no matter where they occur.
Lenses come in all shapes and sizes. They likewise vary in price. In this commodity, we have collected some of the near recommended lenses for wedding photography.
[ExpertPhotography is supported past readers. Product links on ExpertPhotography are referral links. If you use one of these and buy something we brand a little bit of coin. Need more info?
See how it all works here
Does the Pick of Lens Really Affair?
Camera lenses come in dozens of different focal lengths. They have different apertures and features.
The best lens differs from photographer to photographer. It’s based on shooting way and the make of the photographic camera trunk. Some wedding photographers favour
with two bodies for fast admission. Others prefer the ease and range of a
Owning more nuptials lenses allows you to capture the moment in a cramped, dim reception venue, as well every bit in a broad-open, brightly lit park. Only there are a few features and focal lengths that are standard for the pro nuptials photographer.
The following list includes everything. From lenses for multiple camera bodies (such as Nikon, Catechism, Sony, and Fujifilm) to third-party lenses that are bachelor in multiple mounts.
NB: I’grand a Nikon shooter. I haven’t had experience with every lens on this list. This list comes from specifications and user reviews around the web.
ane. Bright, Broad-Angle Zoom: The 24-70mm f/2.eight
wide to medium zoom lens
covers a solid range of focal lengths and nevertheless packs in a brilliant discontinuity.
The lens is wide enough to capture the entire ceremony in one shot. You tin suit the telephoto terminate for closer shots and fifty-fifty portraits, so it as well comes in handy for those family formals.
Every bit a popular nuptials photography lens, some manufacturers have multiple versions of it. The difference is often optical image stabilisation (IS).
That stabilisation helps shoot those dimly lit spaces. Especially at slower shutter speeds, allowing you to drib the ISO down. Just stabilisation isn’t every bit essential in a wide-bending lens as it is for telephoto and macro.
Due to its popularity, tertiary-party manufacturers go far on the action also. This could help you save some cash when choosing gear for wedding photography.
Best 24-70mm f/2.viii Wedding Photography Lenses:
- Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 ED. This Nikon zoom lens is fast, sharp, and performs well in depression calorie-free.
- Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.eight II USM. Canon’s versatile telephoto is sharp with solid bokeh.
- Sony Fe 24-70mm f/2.8 GM. Owners of this Sony praise the bokeh and sharpness and fifty-fifty the performance for video.
- Sigma 24-70mm f/2.eight DG OS HSM Art (Several mounts available). This Sigma offers a similar range and bright discontinuity for a significantly lower price. Sigma’southward Art line is known for loftier-stop quality.
- Fujifilm Fujinon XF 16-55mm f/2.8 R LM WR. This Fujifilm is a bit wider than the 24-70mm standard. Merely information technology maintains the essential aperture for many depression low-cal scenarios. And it offers a sharpness that a wedding photographer can applaud.
2. Brilliant, Versatile Telephoto: The 70-200mm f/ii.8
The 70-200mm offers a
versatile zoom range
and enough focal length to help the bailiwick pop from the background.
The 70-200mm is great for capturing details and shut-ups. The long zoom range likewise makes the lens an option for the portrait department of the day. Its length will help create softer backgrounds. All this while having the aperture a bit wider to continue both the bride and groom in focus.
At that place’southward a downside though. The long focal length and bright aperture mix brand this lens a heavy piece of glass. It’southward also an expensive addition to your wedding ceremony photography kit.
The general rule is to continue your shutter speed above the focal length. While it’due south easy to shoot a 50mm at 1/50 in limited light, the ane/200 suggested for a 200mm is harder to do. This is where that lens stabilisation comes in.
The longer the lens, the more important prototype stabilisation is. If you can only beget to become stabilisation on i lens, get it on the longest one in your bag.
Many nuptials photographers use both a 24-70mm and a seventy-200mm to capture the hymeneals 24-hour interval. These piece of work specially well during parts of the twenty-four hours where the step of events isn’t ideal for lens swaps.
As far as wedding lenses become, this is the nigh necessary addition.
Best seventy-200mm Lenses for Wedding ceremony Photography:
- Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/ii.8E FL ED VR. While expensive, Nikon fans note this lens’ sharpness, speed, and colours. It besides includes image stabilisation.
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS Three USM. Canon photographers rave about this telephoto’southward mix of sharpness and bokeh with the telephoto zoom range.
- Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.eight GM OSS. This lens is designed with high-end optics and is noted for sharpness, bokeh, Eye AF and stabilisation. Similar many others covering the same range, it is heavy and pricey.
- Tamron SP seventy-200mm f/two.eight Di VC USD G2 (multiple mounts). Going with a tertiary-party brand drops the toll of a workhorse lens significantly. Fans of it note the sharpness and stabilisation.
- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.viii EX DG APO OS HSM (multiple mounts). Sigma’south second-generation lxx-200mm. It’s known for a three to four-stop stabilisation system, sharpness, and speed.
iii. Portrait Prime number: The 85mm and 50mm f/one.eight
Prime lenses offer a
than the 70-200mm ones. In some brands, they even offer more than efficient autofocus and higher quality shots. Without all those zoom components, virtually prime lenses are also lighter and cheaper.
The 85mm is an fantabulous focal length for portraits, particularly on full-frame cameras. The focal length is more flattering than a wider angle. But information technology still allows you to take portraits in venues with limited space.
Although the groundwork separation isn’t quite as nice as that 85mm, the 50mm is also a popular choice for portraits. For wedding photographers who need to make the budget, a 50mm lens is an excellent option. It offers that vivid aperture without the big price tag.
The brighter discontinuity of an f/1.8 prime will permit for even smoother backgrounds in portraits. Some brands go even wider, downwards to f/i.4 or f/1.ii.
The wider aperture is also excellent for limited light when that f/two.8 isn’t enough to get a nicely lit shot. This lens is helpful during ceremonies and other low lite portions of the day.
Best 85mm Lenses for Wedding ceremony Photography:
- Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG HSM Fine art (multiple mounts). Sigma’southward Art series is quickly gaining a following, which is due to the high-end optics. It is ultra-bright and the autofocus too performs well.
- Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.8G. Bright and affordable, this is Nikon’s best portrait lens for a hymeneals lensman with a lower budget.
- Canon EF 85mm f/i.8 USM. Equally a portrait favourite, this Canon lens gets bokeh and abrupt subjects for not a lot of cash.
- Sony FE 85mm f/1.8. A popular option for Sony shooters, it is noted for the sharpness and the meaty size.
- Fujifilm XF 56mm f/1.2 R. Equivalent to an 85mm on a full-frame body. This Fujifilm uses a crazy bright f/1.2 for nice background bokeh.
Best 50mm Wedding Photography Lenses:
- Catechism EF 50mm f/1.4 USM. With a super bright f/1.4, this Canon has a lot to love well-nigh information technology. For a super low budget, try Canon EF 50mm f/ane.viii STM.
- Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G. This is a nice portrait lens that performs well in low light without breaking the bank. The Nikon AF-Due south Nikkor 50mm f/one.4G is likewise excellent. Simply information technology sits at about twice the price in substitution for that lower discontinuity.
- Sony FE 50mm f/1.8. Affordable and bright, this Sony is a proficient portrait option.
4. For the Details: The Macro Lenses
Ring shots and detail photos may simply brand up some of the nuptials albums, just they are important.
Along with ring shots, a macro lens
like flowers or compages. You tin even use them for portraits, like a shot of the helpmate’s eyelashes and makeup.
Macro lenses come in all unlike focal lengths and apertures. A longer focal length volition offer more than separation for the background. But getting close upwards shots on a macro level already provides significant softness. That ways an f/one.2 isn’t necessary for a hymeneals photographer.
If you do pick up a brighter macro lens, you don’t take to use it for simply macro. Many lenses allow you to switch off the close-upward style, which results in shooting like a normal lens. Buying a bright macro that doubles equally a portrait prime can help stretch the budget.
Like with a telephoto, stabilisation is more important on a macro than a wide-angle. The shut magnification will exaggerate any camera milkshake.
Best Macro Lenses for Hymeneals Photography:
- Nikon AF-S 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR Micro. It has a life-sized 1:1 magnification and stabilisation. This lens is a popular choice for Nikon shooters.
- Catechism EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM. Brilliant, long and stabilised, this Canon lens has an excellent reputation. (On a budget? Consider the Canon EF-Southward 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM)
- Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro (multiple mounts). This Sigma macro offers stabilisation and a 1:i ratio. Some wedding photographers suggest that the autofocus is a bit slower than the equivalent from big brands.
- Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Macro (multiple mounts). This Tamron lens has life-size reproductions and stabilisation. But it doesn’t have nearly every bit high of a cost. Similar the Sigma, the complaints centre on the autofocus.
- Sony Fe 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS. Sony’s 90mm macro boasts stabilisation, internal focus and a 1:1 magnification.
- Fujifilm XF 80mm f/2.viii R LM OIS WR Macro. This Fujifilm offers a 120mm equivalent and shoots close enough to get a one:1 ratio. The body is also weather-sealed.
5. The Wide, Bright Performer: The 35mm Prime number
Hymeneals photography involves
storytelling. And sometimes you need a wider lens to capture the shots that tell the story. A prime 35mm is brighter and lighter than a broad telephoto lens.
35mm prime lenses are often brilliant and affordable. These are excellent for everything. From capturing the unabridged ceremony setup in ane shot to photographing the unabridged dance floor.
Best 35mm Lenses for Wedding ceremony Photography:
- Nikon AF-Southward 35mm f/1.8 One thousand ED. Wide, vivid and lightweight. This Nikon is a pop option for getting the wide shots of the wedding ceremony day.
- Canon 35mm f/1.iv L Two USM. This Canon lens is pricey for a prime. Just photographers who accept shot with information technology praise its sharpness as well as that extra-wide aperture.
- Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art (multiple mounts). The Sigma option notwithstanding has a crazy wide f/1.iv without quite such a loftier price point.
- Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR. This compact lens is the equivalent of a 35mm on a full-frame photographic camera. It’s known for its fast performance and bokeh.
How Many Wedding Lenses Do You Need?
A wedding photographer needs plenty focal lengths to comprehend the wedding from start to end. How many lenses that means is different for every lensman.
Photographers with enough clients to support a big budget may have one lens in each category. They might even have a few duplicates as backups. Others may shoot with only two or three lenses.
The option of a focal length likewise varies based on mode. Some favour the separating power of a big lens. Others enjoy the storytelling feel of a wide-angle that captures the full scene.
Lenses are difficult to judge based on tech specs alone. If y’all’re still not sure if you should get that pricey brand proper noun or a third-party lens, try renting ane.
Renting is an affordable way to rest easy in your pick. Some rental companies volition let you to buy the lens that y’all rent if you like information technology. If you lot don’t, it’southward a much cheaper loss than finding yous don’t use that focal length after purchasing it.
Prioritise what focal lengths you need most for both your way and to capture every event of the day.
Choosing the best lens for hymeneals photography is important. You need information technology to capture the entirety of the day.
The most popular lenses for this niche are the 24-70mm and seventy-200mm brilliant zooms. For primes, think of the 85mm, 50mm 35mm, and a macro.
The best lenses for weddings are too bright, sharp and versatile.
Find a lens that fits your camera body, wedding ceremony photography style and budget. That style you tin can cover the wedding day from cramped rooms to wide-open up fields with the best results.
If y’all’re serious nearly your portrait photography business organisation, then don’t miss out on our ebook – Profit from Portraits!