Nosotros get asked oftentimes where the best
Zion National Park photograph spots
are, and the best time of twenty-four hour period to have those photos.
Use this Zion National Park travel guide to programme your vacation that includes photography locations, things to practice, what to pack, where to stay. and more than!
1 reward to living simply a few hours away is can photograph Zion National Park during the various seasons, months of the year and during all types of weather and lighting weather.
Below we share our favorite photo spots at Zion, tips for taking pictures at Zion, and the camera gear you’ll need.
Some of the links on this site are chapter links, significant if you book or buy something through one of these links, we may earn a modest commission – at no extra toll to you! Read the full Disclosure Policy.
Camera Gear for Landscape Photography
DOWNLOAD: Photographic camera Gear Checklist
- Camera: bank check out the compact travel cameras nosotros recommend!
- Tripod: take a look at these compact and lightweight travel tripods!
- Camera Purse: protect your camera from sand and h2o → We use Lowepro camera backpacks for outdoor photography.
- Neutral density filter: to recoup for variance of light you’ll need to apply a neutral density filter. → Check out the Kase magnetic filters we use!
- Camera cleaning kit: remove grit or water that Volition become on your lens. Note: this is not for cleaning the sensor.
- Memory cards: buy name brand retention cards since yous’re trusting your images to the bill of fare! → We employ Lexar and Sandisk!
- External hard drive: re-create photos to a portable external hard bulldoze ‘only in case’.
- Headlamp: use when taking sunrise and dusk photos!
Camera Gear at Amazon | Camera Gear at B&H Photograph
Things To Know Before Visiting Zion
Before visiting Zion National Park you’ll demand to know if the shuttle running when you’ll be at that place. If it is so you’ll have limited access to sunrise and sunset photography at the locations in Zion Canyon.
If your Zion vacation is in the spring, summertime or fall when the Zion National Park shuttle is running, don’t worry. You can still get nice morning or late afternoon photos at the locations in the canyon.
To help you lot plan, nosotros’ve indicated the “location” for each photo spot below. If it’s in Zion Canyon, and then it’s only accessible using the shuttle during shuttle season.
Here’s a list of resource to help yous plan the other aspects of your trip to Zion, in improver to taking pictures.
- Visiting Zion National Park
- All-time Fourth dimension to Visit Zion National Park
- Zion National Park Shuttle
- Zion National Park Packing List
- Things to practise at Zion National Park
- Zion National Park Hikes
- Zion Hikes Without the Shuttle
- Zion National Park Scenic Drives
- Zion National Park Activities
- Places to Stay at Zion National Park
A Photo Tour of Zion National Park
Take a visual tour through Zion National Park to meet the stunning landscapes you’ll see when you visit!
Map of Zion Photograph Spots
CLICK the link to access the Zion National Park photos spots Google Map with the pinned locations.
→ CHECK OUT our Zion National Park Photography Guide with detailed information and tips virtually taking photos at each spot. It’south a bully resources to download, print and have with y’all on your trip!
ZION NATIONAL PARK Photograph SPOTS AND TIPS
For each photo spot below, nosotros provide the location, all-time time to photograph and images. We recommend taking pictures at Zion in the forenoon and evening and hiking during the harsh midday light.
Zion Human History Museum
Location: Zion Canyon Shuttle Route
Photograph the Towers of the Virgin on the patio behind the Zion Human being History Museum. There’s a pocket-size patio that’s popular at sunrise.
Best TIME TO Photograph: SUNRISE
- We like to photograph the blue hr light before sunrise, then capture the golden hour lite as it shines on the towers.
- During the dainty forenoon low-cal be sure to photograph the canyon walls seen from the side and front of the museum besides.
- Walk effectually to find dissimilar compositions of the scene, and elements to include in the foreground.
It’due south ok to walk along the service road toward the buildings where y’all’ll discover a dirt path to the right. Walk along that trail for a short distance until you lot come to the bridge. This is a great spot to photo the river, waterfalls, bridge and Three Patriarchs.
There’s also a path that goes along the river you tin access from the shuttle cease. Nosotros like to walk along the river to detect ways to photograph the reflection of the Three Patriarchs in the river.
And finally, the view from the short overlook hike on the opposite side of the road from the river provides a different vantage bespeak also. In the fall, the tops of the trees with colorful leaves adds a nice foreground element.
BEST TIME TO PHOTOGRAPH: Sunrise, Morning, Belatedly Afternoon, Sunset
- There are countless means to take pictures of this area using a variety of basic photography techniques.
- This is a great identify for waterfall and river photography.
Big Bend and Corking White Throne
Location: Zion Canyon Shuttle Route
Big Bend is a groovy location to walk forth the river and photo the colorful coulee walls you see here! At that place can be a drastic contrast of light on the walls here. We like this surface area at dawn or dusk.
There’s a pullout just earlier (if going up Zion Canyon) or simply after (if going down Zion Canyon) Big Bend that provides a practiced view of the Great White Throne.
If y’all take time, hike down the path to the meadow and walk along the river to find different ways to photo canyon walls and river.
In the tardily afternoon the light illuminates the top of the Groovy White Throne. Yous can catch the reflecting colour in the river.
Best Fourth dimension TO PHOTOGRAPH: Morning and Belatedly Afternoon
- Have photos from the parking area at the overlook.
- Hike the brusk distance downwardly to the meadow and forth the river to discover other ways to photo this expanse.
At the end of the Riverside Walk trail is the start of the popular Zion National Park hike called The Narrows.
To avert the crowds we recommend hitting this trail in the morning. It’south also a expert time when the dissimilarity of the light isn’t as well harsh to photograph the coulee walls, river and waterfalls.
The high canyon walls provide a prissy even calorie-free forth the river in the morning which is perfect for photographing rivers and waterfalls.
BEST Fourth dimension TO PHOTOGRAPH: Morning and Late Afternoon
- Morning and late afternoon are the all-time times to avoid the precipitous dissimilarity of low-cal on the canyon walls with the darker shaded areas.
- This is a neat identify to take waterfall and river photos.
Zion-Mount Carmel Tunnel
Location: Zion-Mount Carmel Tunnel
The pullouts forth this stretch of road provide wonderful sunrise photography views to capture the calorie-free on the tops of the cliffs.
The switchbacks and turns along this route make it a great spot to capture light trail photos!
BEST TIME TO Photograph: Sunrise, Forenoon, Belatedly Afternoon and Night
- Dawn and sunrise you’ll capture the glow on the tops of the mountains beyond the valley.
- Early morning you won’t have as much traffic on the road making it easier to observe an open pullout.
- Be conscientious taking pictures at nighttime, peculiarly if you’re parked on a blind curve.
Canyon Overlook Trail
*The parking for this hike is VERY limited so early morning is the best fourth dimension! It’s one of the Zion hikes without the shuttle you tin can do!
BEST TIME TO Photo: Sunrise and Morning
- Start your hike an hour earlier sunrise so you’ll be at the overlook in time to capture the glow on the tops of the mountains across the valley.
- You’ll need a headlamp for the first part of the hike.
Accept your time, stop at pull-outs along the scenic drive, and photograph anything that catches your middle!
If you lot’re lucky to visit when information technology’southward raining, you may get to feel popular-upwardly waterfalls!
Checkerboard Mesa has a designated parking area that makes it easy to stop correct near the E Archway.
Zion National Park in the winter is so beautiful with the contrast of white snowfall against the colorful mural!
BEST TIME TO Photo: Morning and Late afternoon
- Morning will exist the easiest fourth dimension to find open spaces to park at the diverse pullouts.
- When you terminate at pullouts, walk effectually the area to find unique ways to compose the photos you take.
Pa-rus Trail / The Watchman
The Pa’rus Trail runs along the Virgin River and provides that iconic sunset view of The Watchman. Access the trail most the Visitor Middle – watch for the signs.
In the late afternoon and effectually sunset at that place’s aureate light on the Watchman. Capture the gilded reflection in the Virgin River for a stunning shot!
The trail follows the river and there are many spots with river access that provide a variety of views of The Watchman.
Take fourth dimension to explore the expanse and look for different ways to photograph the landscape!
You lot’ll run across deer forth the trail in the evening and so be prepared to photo wildlife as well!
Kolob Terrace Road
Location: Kolob Terrace Road
Kolob Terrace Road is amazing in the late afternoon and around dusk. Access this road almost the town of Virgin, just west of Springdale.
Park at the Left Fork trail and walk a brusque altitude to run into this amazing view! The reflected sunday on the mural is just stunning!
Keep driving along the road until you go to the Hop Valley Trailhead. You’ll find stunning views of the valley from the ridge that lights upwardly at sunset.
“Hoodoo City” is a favorite photo spot at Zion for us. Information technology’s just east of the Hop Valley Trailhead. You can hike from the trailhead, or park at a pull-off about ½ mile to the due east. Hike forth the shelf above the valley until you find a spot to admission the hoodoo formations below.
This is also a nice location to photo the hoodoos with the night sky!
BUY AT AMAZON: Zion National Park Guides and Maps
Program Your Holiday To Zion National Park
- Zion National Park Travel Guide
- Zion National Park Packing List
- Best Time to Visit Zion National Park
- Things to do at Zion National Park
- Zion National Park Tours
Where to Stay Most Zion National Park
Y’all definitely want to stay in Springdale which borders the entrance to Zion.
- Places to Stay at to Zion National Park
- Where to Stay Near Bryce Canyon and Zion
- Hotels well-nigh Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park
- Vacation Inn Express – our favorite place to stay with an outdoor puddle and amenities you’d discover in a loftier end hotel
- Zion Lodge – we haven’t had a chance to stay here however, but you can’t become wrong staying right IN the park!
- Under Sheet Zion – if you want to experience a less crowded function of Zion, this is the identify! It’s in the Kolob section of the park.
- Holiday Rentals in Springdale – you’ll want to stay in Springdale then you’re close to the park entrance and can walk to shopping and restaurants.
Resources for camping well-nigh Zion:
- Camping ground in Zion National Park
- Camping ground Well-nigh Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon
- RV Parks Near Zion National Park