With the booming growth of eCommerce showing no signs of stopping, high-quality digital representation of products is disquisitional to soaring sales and low return rates. Experts wait retail eCommerce to continue to increase by thirteen.7% in 2021, exceeding pre-pandemic estimates and bookkeeping for $908.73 billion in sales.
Accurateness in product delineation can have a big impact on returns (and purchases). Research shows that 22% of shoppers return items when they don’t look how they expected based on the photos online.
Virtual photography is a progressive and increasingly essential tool for instilling consumer confidence and converting sales.
Whether you lot’re looking to become started or to simply up your graphics game, we’re answering some of the most common questions when information technology comes to the rise and employ of virtual photography.
What is virtual photography?
Virtual photography (or 3D production imaging) is the process of producing images that represent existent-world items but are created using technology blending flat graphics and 3D models. The event is a reproduction that looks similar the byproduct of a loftier-end photoshoot only actually shows a virtual product that viewers can interact with.
These interactions–whether zooming in and out, rotating viewing angles, or swapping out color combinations–help consumers envision verbal versions of an end production before making a buy decision.
When washed well, computer-generated imagery (CGI) can’t be told apart from real-globe photography. Using digital tools and alternatives, creators take more than control over the final output and tin add artistic flair that would be difficult (if non impossible) to represent in a standard photoshoot.
Benefits of virtual photography vs. traditional photography
While creating virtual images may sound similar a lot of work that requires tech know-how, the results tin can really outweigh those of traditional imagery.
If you but take ane or two products, traditional photography might be the way to go. That is, if yous can get the lighting, angles, shadow, shading, and everything else just right.
Virtual renderings take the prep work and hassle out of staging a photoshoot. Companies can showcase their products and even create virtual tours all using digital tools to cutting down on project turnaround times.
If you lot offer multiple versions of a product streamlines (for example, different colorways), you’ll need to bring one of everything to a traditional photoshoot. The team will then have to work to ensure that each detail is photographed identically for consistency and accuracy.
Not so with virtual options. You lot can replicate a single item in limitless variations, or against unlike backgrounds, without abiding restaging.
Photography tin add up, and fast. You need the right equipment, for starters, and a quality DSLR camera tin cost thousands. Then, you need someone who can operate the photographic camera properly, requiring hiring or outsourcing a professional photographer. The time it takes to capture all of the right images can also add up, becoming plush for everyone involved.
How does virtual photography work?
The predominant way to capture virtual photography is on a figurer. At a high level, creators assemble the requirements, base images, and 2D assets or CAD files to create a baseline for the image.
From there, they create 3D versions using a variety of software packages that stitch together images for an stop result that allows for zoom, pan, and interactive elements. The initial output is similar to a model and is then filled in with boosted pattern elements, depth, and texture.
Virtual photography is not just virtually replicating items from real life. In many cases, a single source image or product can be used to create an entire series of images, showing various lighting, colors and options. For products that offer add-on features, this method allows for novel ways to bear witness different components in combination with i some other.
Can yous sell virtual photography?
If you own the rights to the creative represented or to the virtual images themselves, and then you can sell 3D images. Recollect that you should not pull still images from a 3D rendering and attempt to sell those graphics if you have not purchased the rights to practise and so.
Many marketers or designers volition buy virtual photography, similar to how they purchase rights-managed or stock photos for 2D images. 3D graphics provide realistic imagery without the costs of staging a existent-world photoshoot to create designs.
What are the benefits of virtual photography?
In addition to saving time and costs over traditional photography, virtual images offer a wide range of benefits:
- Product visualization helps consumers make the all-time existent-time purchase conclusion for them.
- Image interactions increase time on a website, which can pb to increased conversions.
- Loftier-tech elements offer professional appeal to consumers looking for established, quality brands.
- Interactive elements such as colour swaps and zoom instill conviction for outset-time buyers.
- Speed-to-marketplace is reduced when leveraging technology to create marketing assets for product launch.
- 3D viewpoints give consumers control to audit the features that matter virtually to them.
- Seeing loftier-qualityprofessional photos makes social media viewers 40% more than likely to share your content (and heave your achieve).
- Digital options allow for social distancing also equally collaboration with teams and experts from whatever location.
- Updates and additions to an existing product offer or catalog are easy to add and alter on need.
- Virtual reality experiences assist buyers run into how the end product will appear later purchase.
How do I get started with virtual photography?
To get started, you can create your very ain virtual photoshoot by combining 2 commencement 2D images to create a three-dimensional effect.
Here are a few methods y’all can explore:
- Attempt taking HDR shots with a DSLR camera from slightly different viewing angles and so layering the images.
- Smartphones with depth maps (or two cameras next to each other) include options to create 3D images.
- Tech-savvy users can blueprint images in Photoshop then create 3D content using texturing software like Adobe Substance.
- Partner with experts similar the Threekit team to help you lot produce images using best practices and industry-leading tech stacks.
Why is virtual photography condign and so popular at present?
Even before the COVID-19 pandemic, buyer behaviors were trending toward a preference to online purchasing. Access to variety, toll comparisons, cheaper aircraft, and consumer reviews led the accuse.
Add to the increase in eCommerce transactions the fact that 75% of shoppers use photos to decide whether to buy. Using virtual photography ensures that images are crisp, clear, and connecting with buyers.
Consumers also expect diversity. From styles to colors to sizes, in that location are few 1-size-fits-all options anymore. People take come to expect selection, and sellers have responded in kind with variations. Virtual photography makes it quicker and easier to create the images to back up go-to-market efforts for different SKUs.
Virtual photography stats & facts
The numbers support the story that high-quality virtual photography has a large, positive effect for eCommerce companies.
Here are just a few keystone statistics to demonstrate heir-apparent behaviors and business organization bear upon:
- Photo quality is the most important component for 90% of online buyers.
- lx% of consumers prefer 360-caste product views when browsing.
- Existence able to imagine products in existent life through online photos appeals to 78% of shoppers.
- Advanced personalization tin increase revenue by at to the lowest degree 10%.
- Using larger photos (made easier with high-resolution images) can increase sales by over 9%.
Who uses virtual photography?
If you have a product or service to sell online, you can benefit from using virtual photography. A number of industries already make heavy use of these services, especially those that create a large variety of product lines and variations.
These images are also helpful for showing potential buyers how products can appear in different environments without the expense and trouble of staging.
Here are just a few of the businesses and industries using virtual photography to fuel their sales growth:
- Dwelling house and Outdoor Furnishings & Fixtures
- Jewelry and Accessories
- Clothing, Shoes, and Wearables
- Car Dealers and Manufacturers
- Trades and Field Services
- Food Services Suppliers
- Kitchen and Bath Fixtures
Why use Threekit’s Virtual Photographer?
Threekit knows 3D. We’ve designed our Virtual Lensman to help customers produce high-quality production photography without the demand for cumbersome and costly photoshoots.
Put the depth and multifariousness of your products in the spotlight with support from a team of professionals. You input your content, and we output photorealistic itemize images ready for your eCommerce site.
Modernize your client feel with Threekit. Schedule a demo today.