Want to notice a fashion to use iMac every bit a monitor? While Apple tree’s target display mode is limited to 2009 to 2014 iMacs, fortunately, there are several other options to make use of that nice big screen on your iMac as a monitor.
Target display mode is an Apple solution to use iMac as a monitor with another Mac in a wired setup. It was a very popular feature for years, but when Apple launched its Retina iMacs starting in late 2014, support was dropped.
The good news is fifty-fifty if you don’t accept an viii-year-old+ iMac that supports target display mode, you can withal use iMac as a monitor with a variety of dissimilar options. Let’south dig into your 5 options…
Use iMac every bit monitor: 5 solutions
Table of contents
- Luna Display or Duet Display
- Use iMac as a monitor with Sidecar
- AirPlay to Mac
- Pair iMac with an external monitor
- Target display style
Luna Display or Duet Brandish
To get the same functionality that target brandish mode offers with Mac to Mac (and even get PC to Mac and iPad to Mac) back up, Luna Display and Duet Display are two of the meridian options.
Luna Display does require a $119 Luna Display USB-C dongle merely has no subscription cost.
Duet Display doesn’t require any hardware merely goes from $25/year for Duet Air (to get Mac to Mac, PC to Mac, and iPad to Mac support). I do good here is that Duet Display offers a free trial.
We’ve used both here at 9to5Mac and take establish them to be peachy products that see regular updates.
Use iMac as a monitor with Sidecar
This of course doesn’t offering Mac to Mac back up, merely if you want to use iMac as a monitor with an iPad, Sidecar is a peachy free solution. And it works wired or wirelessly.
- On macOS Monterey or Ventura, click
(ii pill icon) in the Menu Bar >
choose your iPad
- Once connected, under Organization Preferences/Settings you can choose whether the Mac or iPad is the main brandish
Sidecar is built into Mac and iPad since macOS Catalina and iPadOS 13. If you haven’t tried Sidecar before, check out our full guide here:
- macOS: How to turn your iPad into a second display with Sidecar
AirPlay to Mac
This feature doesn’t work if you want to extend your iMac or iPad desktop infinite, but you can mirror from iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch directly to an iMac or whatsoever other compatible Mac.
Still, this does require a more recent Mac. Larn more in our full guide:
Pair iMac with an external monitor
This might seem obvious simply another pick is to pair iMac with an external monitor and cull which one you want to be the chief brandish and secondary display.
For a closer look at some of the best monitors on the marketplace, cheque out our guides:
- All-time Thunderbolt monitors for Mac
- Best USB-C monitors for Mac
And ane affordable 32-inch 4K monitor that matches the M1 iMac aesthetic is Samsung’s M8 Smart Monitor.
Target display mode
If you lot happen to have an old iMac, you may be able to use target display mode merely information technology will too need to be running macOS Catalina or earlier – same for the secondary Mac. Here’s what you’ll need to use iMac as monitor with the original solution.
Requirements per Apple tree for 2011-mid 2014 iMacs:
Requirements for 2009-2010 models to utilize iMac every bit monitor:
- iMac used as a brandish must take macOS High Sierra or earlier installed.
- The other Mac that you lot’re connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.
- The cable connecting the ii Mac computers must be a Mini DisplayPort cable.
If you take two Macs that meet those requirements, Apple says:
- Make sure that your iMac is on.
- Brand certain that the other Mac is started up and logged in to a macOS user account.
- Connect the ii computers using the appropriate Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt cable.
You lot can use more than ane iMac as a display, if each iMac is using a Thunderbolt cable to connect directly to a Thunderbolt port on the other Mac (non the other iMac).
on the keyboard of the iMac. You should now encounter the desktop of the other Mac.
- To exit target display way, press Command-F2 again. Or disconnect the cable, or restart either Mac.
Thank you for reading our guide on how to use iMac equally a monitor!
Read more 9to5Mac tutorials:
- Deviation between MacBook Air and Pro: How the redesigned lightweight MacBook stacks up
- iPhone equally Mac webcam: How to use Continuity Camera in iOS 16 and macOS Ventura [Video]
- Stage Manager on Mac: Hands-on with the new multitasking UI in macOS Ventura [Video]
- All-time MacBook merchandise-in values following debut of the new MacBook Air
Top image via AstroPad
FTC: We employ income earning motorcar affiliate links.
Check out 9to5Mac on YouTube for more Apple news: