Today’s guest contributor is Melissa Rodwell, 1 of the founders of the Brood Network. Brood is an online community of Manner Photographers. The Breed customs gives fashion photographers a place to connect, collaborate, share and critique work while learning valuable lessons most the historically guarded and highly competitive industry of fashion photography].
There will come a time in your photography career where you will get-go to call up virtually representation. Developing and maintaining a solid relationship with your agent is a necessary function of our career development and your first amanuensis is a large stepping-stone on your journey. But finding a good agent isn’t every bit easy as it may announced. A skillful agent can be great for your career. However, a not-then-good agent can have detrimental consequences if you’re not conscientious. Of class, it’due south a Catch-22 in the beginning because a good agent unremarkably isn’t interested in a young photographer who is just starting out.
A practiced agent is looking for a lensman who is already being published by some larger magazines or even on-line magazines and already shooting for some somewhat large advertising gigs. But it’south hard to become those larger gigs and better magazines when you’re non represented. I know it can be extremely frustrating in the first so I’ve come up upwardly with a list of things to consider when you’re reaching out to agencies.
[REWIND: WHAT’S IN A COMMERCIAL PHOTOGRAPHER’S BAG? FIND OUT FROM ERIK ALMAS]
The first and foremost thing you want to proceed in heed when budgeted agencies is to make certain y’all are contacting an agent that has experience in the kind of work you shoot. So in other words, if the agency you accept heard virtually equally existence reputable mainly just reps motorcar shooters or product shooters, y’all might want to rethink approaching them considering their client roster won’t have the type of clients you want to shoot for. If you’re merely going to shoot style, make certain the agent you lot contact has a large network of fashion clients. Once you’ve made a list of the agencies you want to reach out to, hither is some tips to help you accomplish out to them.
8 Tips on Budgeted An Agent For Your Photographic Piece of work
1. Keep your initial e-mail to them short. Agents are busy people, they don’t want to hear about your entire history of fashion photography. Just just introduce yourself, ship them a link to your website and finish the email by letting them know you’d be willing to run into them and show them your work.
That’s it! They know why you’re writing them…..you demand an amanuensis! And then don’t over-explain yourself. Go along information technology uncomplicated!
2. If they write you back and audio interested, jump around, tell your friends, accept a petty 5 infinitesimal party and then write them back to propose a fourth dimension and identify to meet if they oasis’t washed and then. Again, keep information technology simple. They haven’t signed you on withal so continue your excitement under wraps. And I say this besides because you don’t know if you’re even going to similar them!
3. If they haven’t written back you tin either follow up in a few days with some other short electronic mail or a phone call. Just ask them if they take had a gamble to await at your website and would they be interested in meeting yous. If you don’t hear back from them afterwards the second electronic mail or they don’t return your call, they’re probably not interested. Just motion on. At that place are more reps out there.
four. So let’s say you get your foot in the door and you land a coming together with the prospective agent. This meeting is as much about y’all interviewing them as it is of them interviewing you. Similar I said previously, you accept to make sure that the amanuensis is a good fit for you lot! Do y’all like them? What is your overall start impression of them? Were they on time for your coming together? Did they take their time looking through your book? Or were they on their cell telephone the entire time while they casually flipped through your volume? It’s important that you have mental notes on your gut feeling nigh this person considering after all, they are going to be representing you and your work.
five. It’s very of import that you similar your agent equally much every bit they like you. The photographer/agent human relationship is much like a spousal relationship. Y’all have to trust this person because this person will bid on your jobs, handle getting the money from the client to you, handle any damage control when things goes awry (and trust me, it happens). They are really supposed to have your dorsum and the trust between the two of you must be very mutual. If you blow a relationship with a client, you might have destroyed a relationship betwixt your amanuensis and that client that your rep has nurtured for years. And vice versa. Then make sure you really become along and come across eye to eye with your potential agent.
vi. It’s really important to run into where your amanuensis conducts his or her business organization. Is information technology a clean role environs that is separate from where they live? Or are they working from a home office? Dwelling house offices are fine but not when too much of their personal life is distracting them from representing you properly. Is the domestic dog barking the whole fourth dimension, are their young kids coming in and out of the workspace? These are things to continue in heed when you lot first run across the agent and where you meet them.
More than times than non, an agent will desire to meet yous somewhere outside of the office. I think this has more to do with them non wanting you to experience “at home” just yet. They want to meet you showtime, see if there is a practiced chemical science between the ii of yous, and then they will invite you for the 2nd meeting at their office.
7. A good agent is difficult to notice, and even harder to become signed with. Obviously, the college up in your career that you motion, the easier this will go. I had a Breed member write me recently to enquire me if I call up it’s meliorate to reach out to an agent first or wait for an agent to contact you commencement. Of grade it’s ever improve when an agent contacts yous get-go. But that doesn’t hateful you lot can’t become out and try to contact some agencies. It’s always good to run across people. If you’re non a expert fit for them, they may know of an agent that is, that maybe you’ve never heard of.
8. Lastly, I want to empathize something very of import: Because your amanuensis is such an important part of your business, y’all must continue the two, business and personal, separated. I have fabricated the mistake in the past of getting too friendly with my agent, making them a “buddy.” It’s obviously very expert to similar your agent, but don’t get also personal. By this I mean, don’t “hang out” or party-hop together. Don’t divulge besides much personal drama on them.
Don’t vent about your personal life to them. Yous have friends you can phone call to complain about your life stuff. Your agent is non your therapist or your sounding board. If it’s non about business, don’t call them. Information technology wastes their valuable time, which they should be using to go you piece of work!
Nearly the Guest Contributor
After graduating from the Art Center College of Pattern Melissa Rodwell embarked on a globe-spanning career as a mode photographer. She has lived and worked all over the world, photographing for Ralph Lauren, Nike, Coca Cola, Honda, NBC Telly, and Dell computers. Her editorial assignments take lead to her being published in Harpers Bazaar, Kurv, Jimon, Flaunt, and Playboy. Simultaneously, Melissa Rodwell has had numerous solo exhibitions in Amsterdam, Sydney, Los Angeles, and Miami.
In 2008 Melissa started the Way Photography Weblog and published Fashion Photography Exposed. For v years, her weblog became the single most sought subsequently resources for educating aspiring style photographers. She has taught workshops in NYC, LA and Berlin. She’s been a guest lecturer in Dubai at GPP, Orlando, Florida at SNAP! and in LA. She has been interviewed by countless magazines including PDN Magazine and Digital Pro Photographer. Her blog brought her esteemed recognition in the world of educating mode photographers.
In 2022, together with Marius Troy, founder of Ben Trovato Magazine, Melissa founded Breed Networks. Breed is an online community of Fashion Photographers. Brood writers and staff are experienced Fashion photographers educational activity and sharing current mode photography insight through a series of videos, editorials, interviews and product reviews.
Posted by: Fusiontr.com