- Acrobat User Guide
- Introduction to Acrobat
- Admission Acrobat from desktop, mobile, web
- What’s new in Acrobat
- Keyboard shortcuts
- System Requirements
- Workspace basics
- Opening and viewing PDFs
- Opening PDFs
- Navigating PDF pages
- Viewing PDF preferences
- Adjusting PDF views
- Enable thumbnail preview of PDFs
- Display PDF in browser
- Working with online storage accounts
- Admission files from Box
- Access files from Dropbox
- Access files from OneDrive
- Admission files from SharePoint
- Admission files from Google Drive
- Acrobat and macOS
- Acrobat notifications
- Grids, guides, and measurements in PDFs
- Asian, Cyrillic, and right-to-left text in PDFs
- Creating PDFs
- Overview of PDF creation
- Create PDFs with Acrobat
- Create PDFs with PDFMaker
- Using the Adobe PDF printer
- Converting web pages to PDF
- Creating PDFs with Acrobat Distiller
- Adobe PDF conversion settings
- PDF fonts
- Editing PDFs
- Edit text in PDFs
- Edit images or objects in a PDF
- Rotate, move, delete, and renumber PDF pages
- Edit scanned PDFs
- Enhance document photos captured using a mobile camera
- Optimizing PDFs
- PDF properties and metadata
- Links and attachments in PDFs
- PDF layers
- Page thumbnails and bookmarks in PDFs
- Action Wizard (Acrobat Pro)
- PDFs converted to web pages
- Setting upward PDFs for a presentation
- PDF articles
- Geospatial PDFs
- Applying actions and scripts to PDFs
- Change the default font for adding text
- Delete pages from a PDF
- Scan and OCR
- Scan documents to PDF
- Heighten document photos
- Troubleshoot scanner bug when scanning using Acrobat
- PDF forms basics
- Create a form from scratch in Acrobat
- Create and distribute PDF forms
- Fill in PDF forms
- PDF form field properties
- Make full and sign PDF forms
- Setting action buttons in PDF forms
- Publishing interactive PDF web forms
- PDF grade field basics
- PDF barcode course fields
- Collect and manage PDF form data
- Almost forms tracker
- PDF forms help
- Ship PDF forms to recipients using electronic mail or an internal server
- Combining files
- Combine or merge files into single PDF
- Rotate, move, delete, and renumber PDF pages
- Add headers, footers, and Bates numbering to PDFs
- Ingather PDF pages
- Add together watermarks to PDFs
- Add backgrounds to PDFs
- Working with component files in a PDF Portfolio
- Publish and share PDF Portfolios
- Overview of PDF Portfolios
- Create and customize PDF Portfolios
- Sharing, reviews, and commenting
- Share and track PDFs online
- Mark up text with edits
- Preparing for a PDF review
- Starting a PDF review
- Hosting shared reviews on SharePoint or Office 365 sites
- Participating in a PDF review
- Add together comments to PDFs
- Adding a postage stamp to a PDF
- Approving workflows
- Managing comments | view, reply, print
- Importing and exporting comments
- Tracking and managing PDF reviews
- Saving and exporting PDFs
- Saving PDFs
- Catechumen PDF to Word
- Convert PDF to JPG
- Convert or export PDFs to other file formats
- File format options for PDF export
- Reusing PDF content
- Enhanced security setting for PDFs
- Securing PDFs with passwords
- Manage Digital IDs
- Securing PDFs with certificates
- Opening secured PDFs
- Removing sensitive content from PDFs
- Setting upwardly security policies for PDFs
- Choosing a security method for PDFs
- Security warnings when a PDF opens
- Securing PDFs with Adobe Experience Manager
- Protected View feature for PDFs
- Overview of security in Acrobat and PDFs
- Attachments as security risks
- Allow or block links in PDFs
- Electronic signatures
- Sign PDF documents
- Capture your signature on mobile and use it everywhere
- Send documents for e-signatures
- Most document signatures
- Certificate-based signatures
- Validating digital signatures
- Adobe Approved Trust List
- Manage trusted identities
- Bones PDF printing tasks
- Print Booklets and PDF Portfolios
- Advanced PDF print settings
- Print to PDF
- Printing color PDFs (Acrobat Pro)
- Printing PDFs in custom sizes
- Accessibility, tags, and reflow
- Create and verify PDF accessibility
- Accessibility features in PDFs
- Reading Gild tool for PDFs
- Reading PDFs with reflow and accessibility features
- Edit document construction with the Content and Tags panels
- Creating accessible PDFs
- Searching and indexing
- Creating PDF indexes
- Searching PDFs
- Multimedia and 3D models
- Add together audio, video, and interactive objects to PDFs
- Adding 3D models to PDFs (Acrobat Pro)
- Displaying 3D models in PDFs
- Interacting with 3D models
- Measuring 3D objects in PDFs
- Setting 3D views in PDFs
- Enable 3D content in PDF
- Adding multimedia to PDFs
- Commenting on 3D designs in PDFs
- Playing video, audio, and multimedia formats in PDFs
- Add comments to videos
- Print product tools (Acrobat Pro)
- Impress production tools overview
- Printer marks and hairlines
- Previewing output
- Transparency flattening
- Colour conversion and ink management
- Trapping color
- Preflight (Acrobat Pro)
- PDF/X-, PDF/A-, and PDF/E-compliant files
- Preflight profiles
- Advanced preflight inspections
- Preflight reports
- Viewing preflight results, objects, and resources
- Output intents in PDFs
- Correcting problem areas with the Preflight tool
- Automating document assay with droplets or preflight deportment
- Analyzing documents with the Preflight tool
- Additional checks in the Preflight tool
- Preflight libraries
- Preflight variables
- Color direction
- Keeping colors consistent
- Color settings
- Color-managing documents
- Working with color profiles
- Understanding color management
About PDF layers
You can view, navigate, and print layered content in PDFs created from applications such equally InDesign, AutoCAD, and Visio.
You tin can control the display of layers using the default and initial country settings. For example, y’all can hide a layer containing a copyright observe whenever a certificate is displayed onscreen, while ensuring that the layer always prints.
Acrobat Pro, yous can rename, flatten, and merge layers, change the backdrop of layers, and add actions to layers. You tin can too rearrange layers, import layers from image files and other PDFs, and lock layers to preclude them from being hidden.
Acrobat Pro does non permit you to author layers that change visibility co-ordinate to the zoom level. Nevertheless, you tin highlight a portion of a layer that is especially important by creating a bookmark that magnifies or hides the layer using page actions. Y’all tin can also add links that let users click a visible or invisible link to navigate to or zoom in on a layer.
To retain layers when yous convert
documents to PDF in Acrobat Pro, brand sure that Compatibility is set to Acrobat 6.0 (PDF 1.5) or college. Additionally, brand certain that Create
is selected in the Export
Information tin be stored on dissimilar layers of a PDF. The layers that appear in the PDF are based on the layers created in the original awarding. Use the Layers panel to examine layers and show or hide the content associated with each layer. Items on locked layers cannot be hidden.
Some layers may exist organized into nested groups with a parent layer. Other layers may exist in groups with no parent layer.
A lock icon in the Layers panel indicates that a layer is for information just. Locked layers can exist created from AutoCAD and Visio files.
Standard, the visibility of a locked layer cannot be changed. In
Acrobat Pro, utilize the
dialog box to change the visibility of a locked layer.
Heart icon indicates a displayed layerB.
> Bear witness/Hide >
To hibernate a layer, click the centre icon. To show a hidden layer, click the empty box. (A layer is visible when the eye icon is present, and subconscious when the eye icon is absent. This setting temporarily overrides the settings in the
In a nested layer grouping, if the parent layer is hidden, the nested layers are automatically hidden as well. If the parent layer is visible, nested layers can exist made visible or subconscious.
From the options menu
, choose one of the following:
List Layers For All Pages
Shows every layer across every folio of the document.
Listing Layers For Visible Pages
Shows layers only on the currently visible pages.
Reset To Initial Visibility
Resets layers to their default state.
Apply Print Overrides
Displays layers according to the Print settings in the Layer Properties dialog box (Prints
Never Prints, E’er Prints).
Apply Export Overrides
Displays layers co-ordinate to the Export settings in the Layer Properties dialog box (Exports
Apply Layer Overrides
Displays all layers. This pick affects all optional content in the PDF, fifty-fifty layers that are not listed in the Layers panel. All layers are visible, regardless of the settings in the Layer Properties dialog box. Yous cannot change layer visibility using the eye icon until you deselect this command. When you edit layer properties in the
dialog box, changes are non effective until you cull
Reset To Initial Visibility
in the options menu. (Changes to the layer name are the exception; they are effective immediately.)
You cannot save the view of a layered PDF by using the heart icon in the Layers panel to evidence and hide layers. When you salve the file, the visibility of the layers automatically reverts to the initial visibility country.
To save a different view of a layered PDF in Acrobat Pro, you must change the default state of the layers in the Layer Backdrop dialog box.
Edit layer properties (Acrobat Pro)
You tin combine the default state setting, the visibility setting, and the print setting to command when a layer is visible and when it prints. If a layer contains a watermark, for example, y’all may desire the layer not to show onscreen but ever to print and e’er to consign to other applications. In this case, you tin prepare the default state to on, the initial visibility to never visible (the paradigm doesn’t bear witness onscreen), and the initial print and initial consign states to always impress and ever export. The layer need non be listed in the Layers panel, since all the state changes are handled automatically.
The settings in the
dialog box take upshot but if Permit Layer State To Exist Ready By User Data is selected in the Documents preferences. If it is non selected,
dialog box settings, other than Layer Proper noun and Default Country, are ignored.
Click the Layers push in the navigation pane.
Select a layer, and choose
from the options menu
dialog box, edit the layer name or any of the following properties, and so click OK:
Select View to allow the layer to exist turned on or off, or select Reference to keep the layer on at all times and permit editing of the properties. When the
choice is selected, the layer appears in italics.
Defines the initial visibility country of the layer when a document is first opened or when the initial visibility is reset. The eye icons for layers are initially shown or hidden based on this value. For example, if this value is set to off, the eye icon for a layer is hidden when the document is beginning opened or when Reset To Initial Visibility is chosen from the options menu.
Defines the onscreen visibility of the PDF layer. You can prove a layer when the document is opened, you tin can hide a layer when the certificate is opened, or you lot can permit the default state determine whether a layer is shown or hidden when the document is opened.
Determines whether a layer volition impress.
Determines whether the layer appears in the resulting document when the PDF file is exported to an application or file format that supports layers.
Whatever additional properties that the creator of the layered PDF has associated with a specific layer are shown in the box at the bottom of the
You can reorder individual layers in the Layers pane. This activity is useful if you want to modify the order of layers in the list, or move a layer from one layer group to another.
You lot cannot reorder locked layers, and you cannot reorder layers in nested layer groups.
In the Layers navigation panel, select a layer.
Position the cursor to the left of the layer name, so hold downward the Alt key while you drag the layer to the new location.
Add layer navigation
You can add together links and destinations to layers, allowing you to modify the view of a document when the user clicks a bookmark or link.
In general, changes to layer visibility made using the heart icon in the Layers panel are not recorded in the Navigation toolbar.
Associate layer visibility with bookmarks
Set the required layer backdrop, visibility, and magnification level for the target PDF layer in the certificate pane.
Click the Bookmarks push, and choose
from the options menu
Select the new bookmark, and choose Backdrop from the options menu
In the Bookmark Properties dialog box, click the Deportment tab.
For Select Activeness, choose
Prepare Layer Visibility, click Add together, and then click OK.
Select the bookmark label in the Bookmarks console, and name the bookmark.
Acquaintance layer visibility with a link destination
Set the required layer properties for the destination in the document pane.
> Testify/Hide >
The Destinations pane appears in a floating panel. You can add it to the other panels by dragging it to the navigation pane. If the console is collapsed, click the Destinations push to expand it.
Destination from the options menu
, and name the destination.
Select the Link tool
, and drag in the document pane to create a link. (Because content is added to all layers, it doesn’t affair that you lot are apparently creating the link on the target layer. The link works from any layer.)
dialog box, select
and click Next.
Click the Appearance tab in the
dialog box, and fix the appearance of the link.
Click the Actions tab in the
dialog box, choose
Set Layer Visibility, and click Add.
You tin test the link by changing the layer settings, selecting the Hand tool, and clicking the link.
Import layers (Acrobat Pro)
You lot can import layers from a PDF or image file into a target PDF. Supported image file formats are BMP, GIF, JPEG, JPEG 2000, PCX, PNG, and TIFF.
Click the Layers push button in the navigation pane.
Cull Import Every bit Layer from the options menu
In the Import As Layer dialog box, click Browse and locate the file to import. If the source file is a multipage document, enter the page number you lot want to import in
Folio Number. If the target file is a multipage document, specify the Target
in the Preview section of the dialog box.
Select one of the following import options:
Create New Layer
Creates a single, divide layer from the source document. Enter a name for the new layer.
Add together To Group
Specifies the existing layer group in which to add together the imported layer. This choice is available simply when the target PDF contains one or more existing layer groups, and when Create New Layer is selected.
Add To Existing Layer
Adds the content from the source document to an existing layer in the target document. Select a layer from your target document. The imported content will accept the aforementioned layer properties equally the existing layer in the target certificate. This choice is available but when the target document contains layers.
Copy Layers From Source
Imports the layers from the source certificate. This option is available merely when the source document contains layers.
Adjust the Position and Appearance settings every bit needed, and so click OK.
Merge or flatten layers (Acrobat Pro)
Merged layers acquire the properties of the layer into which they are merged (the target layer). Flattening PDF layers hides whatever content that is not visible when the flattening functioning is executed and consolidates all layers.
You cannot undo either a merging or a flattening functioning.
Click the Layers push, and select Merge Layers from the options bill of fare
In the Layers To Be Merged pane, select 1 or more than layers, and click Add.
To remove a layer from the center panel, select one or more layers, and click Remove.
In the Target Layer To Merge Into pane, select the layer into which to merge the selected layers.
Click the Layers push, and select Flatten Layers from the options carte du jour
Editing layered content
You can select or copy content in a layered PDF document using the Select tool or the Snapshot tool. (In Acrobat Reader, the PDF must include usage rights.)
In Acrobat, yous tin can edit content using Edit Text & Images tool. These tools recognize and select any content that is visible, regardless of whether the content is on a selected layer.
, if the content that yous edit or delete is associated with one layer, the content of the layer reflects the alter. If the content that you edit or delete is associated with more than one layer, the content in all the layers reflects the change. For example, if you want to change a championship and byline that appear on the same line on the get-go page of a certificate, and the championship and byline are on two different visible layers, editing the content on one layer changes the content on both layers.
You can add content, such every bit review comments, stamps, or course fields, to layered documents but as y’all would to any other PDF document. However, the content is non added to a specific layer, even if that layer is selected when the content is added. Rather, the content is added to the entire document.
, you can use the Merge Files Into A
command to combine PDF documents that contain layers. The layers for each document are grouped under a split heading in the Layers panel of the navigation pane. You aggrandize and collapse the group past clicking the icon in the title bar for the group.