Introduction – The Basics
A Maintenance and Operations overview and primer.
BASIC AREAS OF YOUR CAR:
- THE CHASSIS OR FRAME: The supporting frame of a structure (equally an motorcar or television); likewise: the frame and working parts (as of an car or electronic device) exclusive of the trunk or housing. The Chassis, it all starts with the Ford Chassis, all components for you car are attached to the chassis or the frame of the car.
- THE MOTOR, ENGINE OR POWER Institute: Your Model A engine is a four-cylinder in line engine known as an “Fifty Block”. It uses 4 spark plugs that explode in a combustion chamber to ability the engine. The engine is oiled by a circulating splash system, which while delivering oil to the valve chamber allows the oil by gravity to flow to each of the chief bearings of the engine. The lower part of the engine or the crankcase has troughs for the oil that allow the oil to “splash” from oil dippers to the other parts of the engine that demand lubricating…
- THE TRANSMISSION OR Bulldoze TRAIN: This is what makes the car go forward and back. The Ford Model A apply a sliding pinion type of gear or sometimes only chosen a sliding gear transmission, it has 3 forward gears and 1 reverse. Speed is obtained through the manual by changing gears past depressing the clutch pedal and shifting into the next higher gear. The power of the engine rotates sending power to the rear axel by means of an enclosed propeller shaft with a ball joint. In the rear axel are radius rods that work a gears and assistance turn the wheels that move the car.
- BRAKES: In that location are 2 separate brake systems on the Model A, the iv bicycle service brakes and the emergency brake. The bike is attached to the Restriction Drum, which inside are what is called brake shoes. When you press the restriction pedal the brake shoes expands outward, this in turn presses the textile on the restriction shoes against the drum and there by slows and stops the car. The brakes are controlled past rods that connect the front and rear wheels, giving you the basic braking system. The second brake system is the emergency brake controlled past a handle in the car, when this handle is pulled it expands a split up ready of brake bands and therefore hold the rear wheels from moving.
- COOLING SYSTEM: Your radiator. The Model A uses a centrifugal h2o pump mounted in the cylinder head of the engine and works with the engine fan. Your Model a engine volition work with regular water to cool the engine, anti freeze as in regular cars is Not recommended as your radiator in your model a is NOT a pressurized system, the radiator works past circulating absurd h2o into the engine, as the water becomes heated information technology is forced out through the upper radiator hose into the radiator and as information technology cools drops to the bottom and is flows into the engine once again. The process works entirely automatically.
- CARBURETOR: The carburetor is the process where gasoline and air mix to form a vapor that is ignited into the engine to create the combustion to cause power. Information technology is important to exist certain the mix of air and gasoline is right or to make sure it is not too rich or too weak which is what regulates the explosion and in turn the power that is applied to the piston, which in plough gives you power. Your fuel mix is controlled by the choke rod inside your car in front of the passenger seat. The choke rod turned clockwise or counter clockwise to regulate the mixture.
- MODEL A FUEL SYSTEM: Your fuel tank is located above your feet in the automobile forming the upper portion of the cowl, or where you nuance is. Under the fuel tank in well-nigh Model A’s except for May 1931 and later at that place is a fuel shut-off. The Fuel system is a gravity fed system to the carburetor. When the valve is turned horizontal information technology is shut off and fuel will not flow to the Carb. After May 1931 Ford moved the fuel shut off inside the engine compartment on the firewall and indented information technology. This was done for safety measures. Depending on what model y’all have your tank will hold 10-11 gallons of gasoline. You may use regular un-leaded gasoline in your auto today.
- IGNITION AND Electrical Organisation: The Ford Model A is powered by a 6-volt positive ground organization. The positive pb is connected to the frame of the car and the negative lead is continued to the starter. Your 6 volt battery sends current to the starter when the pedal inside your car is pressed. With the ignition key turned on, the coil is energized which helps to send the electric current to the benefactor which assist spark the engine via the spark plugs and when timed correctly starts the engine. Once your engine is turning, the generator located on the drivers side front end of the engine, it is turned by the fan belt, which is also attached to the crankshaft pulley on the front end of the engine. The generator helps to generate electricity to ability your lights, horn and other accessories. The Ammeter monitors your generator and shows charge and discharge of the bombardment. It is on the instrument panel of your cars interior.
- Distributor: Located on the top right hand side of the engine, it consists of a cam, rotor, contact points and electrodes. The ignitions coil sends a low tension current of sufficient voltage to the distributor to leap between the points if the spark plugs. The distributor billow points interrupt the period of current while the rotor inside spins and sends the high tension current to each spark plug in the proper firing society.
- SPRINGS AND SHOCKS: The springs of the Model A are know as leave springs, they are transverse semi-elliptic in shape. Each jump is built up of different thin leaves to give the proper amount of flexibility for the item body style. They are made of fine steel that has a spring activeness to it. The hydraulic shocks control the move up or down and on the Model A are adaptable also equally making the car safer. The stupor cushion connects to a stupor absorber link tube, so to the front spring, which is lubricated through a fitting past yous during your 500-mile checkups.
- STEERING: The Model A steering is known as worm and sector type, roller bearing known as thrust bearings work in conjunction with the worm gears. This is all enclosed in the steering gear assembly with is located in the steering column. In addition to this down the steering columns are too wires for your lights, and horn also as your spark and throttle levers. At the base of operations of the steering column is the switch assembly. This is where the wires for your horn, lights, and cowl lights are connected and branch out. They are all controlled from your steering bike.
Starting the New Ford Model A
I have my first model a, at present what? How do I get it going and work on it?
I am sure you want to arrive and drive, offset let’s learn how the to offset this motorcar. There are many, many opinions on how to commencement a model a, yes it is truthful that you take to learn “your” car and how it works merely allow’s talk near the elementary common manner.
The post-obit is a direct quote from the Model A instruction manual that was provided with every new model a. Delight note: your machine may be totally different when starting and running, this is the bones method that ford outlined in the manual. It is interesting that it mentions nada about turning on the gas at the valve nether the dash. Manifestly, this has to exist one of the offset steps. By the style on the original valves, the handle in the vertical position is ‘on’. Check the oil and h2o (gas too) prior to starting. In my stance, when starting a cold engine, don’t choke the engine for more than than a couple revolutions. If held open as described below, you run the risk of flooding the engine. Also, the ignition switch described below is the original style ‘pop-out’ switch. When opening the carburetor-adjusting valve, lightly seat or close the valve past turning clockwise until it stops, so open one full turn.
This applies to a model a that has been run recently. If the engine has not run in a long time, don’t start it until you lot are certain it is gear up to start and has been checked.
Before starting the engine
Exist sure the gearshift lever is in neutral position, ie: the position in, which it can exist moved freely from side to side. Advance the throttle lever located under the steering bike (right manus side) nearly iii notches, or until the accelerator pedal moves slightly downward. Pulling downwardly the throttle lever or pressing on the accelerator pedal, controls the quantity of gas entering the cylinders, and regulates the speed of the engine. Place the spark lever (left hand) at the top of the quadrant (the notched quarter-circle on which the lever is operated). This is the retard position. The spark lever regulates the timing of the spark, which explodes the gas in the cylinders. E’er retard the spark lever when starting your car. Starting the engine with the spark avant-garde may crusade the engine to kick back, and impairment the starter parts. After the engine is started, advance the spark lever about half way downward the quadrant.
Theft proof lock
The ford type electro-lock used in the ignition switch is a combination switch and theft proof lock affording full protection for the car and meeting the exacting requirements of the underwriters as regards theft insurance. To unlock the electro-lock, only insert the switch key into the ignition switch and plough the central to the right. This releases the cylinder of the lock, which snaps forward and closes the ignition circuit. When the cylinder is released the engine tin be started in the usual mode, and the switch key withdrawn from the lock. To close off the engine, button in on the cylinder of the lock until it snaps back in the lock position. Be sure that it stays in. This shuts off the ignition and locks the motorcar.
Starting the engine
- Release the lock cylinder by turning the switch key to the right as described on page half dozen.
- See that the spark lever is retarded; the throttle lever advanced three or 4 notches on the quadrant and the gear shift lever in neutral position.
- If the engine is cold, turn the carburetor-adjusting rod one full turn to the left to requite it a richer mixture for starting. This rod serves both as a choke for starting and every bit an enriching adjustment. Side by side pull back the rod, at the aforementioned fourth dimension pressing down on the starter button with your foot. The instant the engine starts, withdraw your foot from the starter button and release the choke rod, next accelerate the spark lever about one-half style downwardly the quadrant. When the engine warms up, turn the adjusting rod dorsum to the correct. Never bulldoze continuously with adjusting rod more than 1/4 turn open. (see adjustment of carburetor, page 24.)
When starting a warm engine, practice not pull back the choke unless the engine fails to showtime on the normal mixture as at that place is a possibility of flooding the engine with an over rich mixture of gas. If you should by accident flood the engine, open the throttle and with the asphyxiate rod in normal position, plough the engine over a few times to frazzle the rich gas.
We advise you now read through our Model A Primer.