Can’t decide if you should buy a Mac or PC? It’south a tough determination because both platforms have unlike advantages and disadvantages. Information technology really too depends a lot on external factors similar what other devices you ain and what kind of software you utilise.
For example, if y’all own an Xbox One, a Windows Telephone, a Surface tablet and all the other computers in your home are Windows PCs, then it might be more user-friendly to stick with a PC. On the other hand, if yous ain an iPhone, an iPad, an Apple TV, and an AirPrint enabled printer, so a Mac would fit in actually well with those other devices.
Additionally, even if y’all stop upward with a mixed environment with Windows and Mac devices, it’s pretty piece of cake to share data across devices. It’due south as well fairly easy to access Mac files from a Windows PC and vice versa. You can even connect a Mac-formatted drive to a Windows PC and view the files directly. If yous’re new to Mac, y’all’ll be happy to know that Os 10 has an equivalent for pretty much every feature in Windows.
So, without further ado, allow’s go into the pros and cons for each platform, which includes the hardware and software. Manifestly, this is a very biased and opinionated article, so experience free to share your thoughts if they are different.
Mac Pros and Windows Cons
- Macs accept a born program called BootCamp, which allows you to install Windows, Linux or other operating systems in addition to OS X. Setting upward a dual kicking arrangement in OS X is infinitely easier than it is in Windows. It’s too super easy to switch between the ii operating systems.
- Macs work better with other Apple products in terms of software. This includes features like Handoff, iMessage, iCloud, iCloud Drive, iCloud Photo Library, iCloud Keychain, Find My iPhone, etc. Microsoft has tried to copy this, but only partially.
- Macs are less complicated and more intuitive to use. This is a very debatable indicate and the reason why I also listing it every bit a con in the section below. If yous’ve always been a Windows user, it tin can initially exist counter-intuitive to apply, notwithstanding, I’ve establish that it’southward more logical once yous become used to it.
- Even though Macs can get viruses or malware, the number of threats is nonetheless significantly less than for Windows just because the Windows base of operations is so much larger.
- Almost all new PCs come installed with loads of bloatware from PC manufacturers, which requires transmission removal. Mac computers have pre-installed software, but merely from Apple and they don’t slow down your system. If you’re technically savvy, this is a not-event, otherwise it can be a major nuisance.
- Apple has fantabulous client back up, AppleCare warranty programs, and exclusive Apple Stores where yous can take your Mac or other Apple products for repairs, preparation or other issues.
- Macs are sleek and visually highly-seasoned. To get something shut from PC manufacturers unremarkably ends upwards negating the higher cost gene for Apple tree products.
- Speaking of toll, Macs are more expensive than PCs, just they also hold their resale value far improve than PCs.
- Apple computers have some of the highest customer satisfaction rates in the industry. When you purchase a Mac, you lot are getting a high-quality machine. This tin be true for PCs too, but with so many manufacturers and configurations, getting the all-time quality can be more hard.
- Macs tend to be a fleck more innovative in design and features. For example, Macs include Thunderbolt, USB Type C ports, multi-touch trackpads, force impact, keyboard backlighting and more.
- Macs can read NTFS or Fat formatted hard drives. Windows cannot read Mac formatted drives unless you install a tertiary-party program.
- The iMac, the only Mac desktop other than the Mac Pro, is an all-in-one figurer that you lot tin get with a 4K or 5K display, something that really doesn’t exist in the Windows market place at all unless you get an ultra-expensive custom rig. At that place is the HP Envy, but it isn’t every bit expert as the iMac.
PC Pros and Mac Cons
- PCs are manufactured past many different companies, resulting in a huge choice of devices with a broad variation in prices. With Apple, you have but a few choices with set prices. In terms of desktops, Apple has only one geared towards consumers, so if the cost is prohibitive, a Windows desktop will be a much better choice.
- PCs are more than upward-gradable and configurable. On Macs, y’all can unremarkably only upgrade the RAM or hard drive and that’south it. Pretty much every component on a desktop PC can be switched out. When purchasing PCs, yous also have a lot more options that you tin configure including processors, cases, memory, hard drives, ports, displays, etc.
- Overall, in that location is a lot more software bachelor for Windows than for PC. The reverse is true when you look at smartphones, but we’re talking about computers here. There is usually an equivalent Mac program for every Windows app, but they are not always as good.
- Windows based PCs may have greater backwards compatibility. A v yr old PC can easily run Windows 10 without any issue. A five year old Mac tin can run the latest version of OS X, only one-half the features will be missing and things don’t run as smoothly. For some reason, yous always need the latest Mac in order to employ all the new features in Bone X.
- PCs are the accented all-time choice when it comes to gaming. Macs simply do not come up with as powerful graphics cards, even high-end machines like the Mac Pro.
- Worldwide, near computers are PCs and Windows is the most popular operating system by far. This means the community is much larger and you lot tin can become more support for software and hardware.
- In terms of accessories, PCs have a lot more options and those options are commonly cheaper.
- Though Os X is simpler, that’s non always the best for some people. Windows is more circuitous and powerful than Bone X.
- PCs tin can exist configured with hardware that Apple considers obsolete. Some newer Apple machines don’t even come with CD/DVD drives. It also seems Apple keeps reducing the number of ports on each newer machine. The new Macbook has one USB port and one headphone jack and that’s it.
- PCs work slap-up with a whole slew of other products also. For example, you can stream your Xbox or PlayStation games to Windows.
These are some of the major pros and cons when it comes to Mac and PCs. In that location are a ton of other smaller pluses and minuses, but I don’t recollect those warrant that much attending when discussing this topic in general terms. Obviously, if you’re a professional graphics designer, and so looking at specific compatible hardware and software would make more sense.
The point of this commodity is non to say one platform is better than the other, because that is simply not true. If y’all are a college pupil and the only thing that matters to you lot is your budget, then a Mac volition probably not be best choice, regardless of the other benefits. In my opinion, if you have never tried a Mac, you should ask a friend or family unit member to loan you a device to meet how yous feel about it. Just about anybody has used Windows, so you pretty much know what you are getting in terms of software.
Let united states of america know your opinions about why Mac or PC is ameliorate for you in the comments. Savor!
Do not share my Personal Information.