We often get questions from readers asking what certain icons on phones mean so today I’m going to list all of the icons on the iPhone to help answer some of them. One icon seems to be more than mysterious than the others, the moon icon on the iPhone. And so what does it hateful and what do the other icons signify?
Icons are a great way to communicate with the user without using up as well much space. Like emoji, once you lot know what each icon represents, your understanding of what’s going on with your phone increases exponentially. Then permit’s come across what all of those iPhone icons mean. As nosotros receive more than questions about the moon icon than any other, allow’s begin with that.
The moon icon on the iPhone
There are two moon icons in use inside iOS. The first is on the home screen and the other is within iMessage. The moon icon on the home screen will appear by the battery charge indicator in the top right of your iPhone screen. It’south a crescent moon and indicates yous have Exercise Not Disturb activated.
The crescent moon in iMessage ways you have muted a particular contact so you don’t meet notifications from them. You will see a blue moon when you take a new message which will turn gray once you lot have read information technology.
Other iPhone icons
iOS is full of icons. Some brand perfect sense while others take a footling working out. You will typically run across the following icons in the meridian left or right of your screen depending on what version of iPhone you have.
- The bars icon refers to signal force. The more than bars, the stronger the betoken.
- The bars that look like assertion marks ways the same for dual SIM iPhones.
- LTE ways you’re within range of your network’s LTE signal.
- 5G means your network’s 5G network is within range and y’all can use it.
- 3G means the aforementioned for the 3G network, as does the 4G icon.
- GPRS means you lot’re in range of your network’s GPRS range.
- The Eastward icon means you only take access to Edge networks, (GSM).
- Wi-Fi and the WiFi icon hateful you’re within range of a connected wireless network. Wi-Fi specifically means you tin can use WiFi calling if you want to.
- The VPN icon means you’re connected to the internet using a VPN on the iPhone.
- The modest black arrow app means an app is using location services. A hollow arrow means the app may request location data if information technology needs it.
- The progress circle icon means yous’re waiting for something to happen from the network.
- The phone icon with the arrow ways yous have call forwarding enabled.
- The aeroplane icon means Airplane Style is agile.
- The telephone over a keyboard icon means y’all have Teletype activated.
- The padlock in a circumvolve means screen rotation is turned off.
- The sync circle icon means your iPhone is syncing with iTunes.
- The black padlock means your iPhone is locked.
- The headphones icon ways your iPhone is paired with wireless headphones or earbuds.
- The alarm clock icon means yous have an alarm ready.
- The horizontal green battery icon means your iPhone is charging.
- The horizontal battery icon is your accuse indicator and ways you’re in low power style.
- The vertical battery indicator shows the levels of a paired Bluetooth accompaniment.
- The intertwined rings icon means yous’re using a Personal Hotspot.
- The play arrow in a circle means your iPhone is connected to Apple CarPlay.
- The blue oval effectually the time means yous’re using a Personal Hotspot or Screen Mirroring.
- The cerise oval around the time means you’re recording sound or screen recording.
- The green oval behind the time means you’re still on a phone call.
Equally you can see, there are a lot of icons to get to grips with but they are all logical and the majority of them are intuitive once you lot tin piece of work out what each means.
Y’all will too see some icons in Control Center.
- The blueish circumvolve with the radio inside is for AirDrop.
- The bluish circle with the Bluetooth icon is for Bluetooth.
- The dark-green circumvolve with the transmitter icon is for Cellular Data.
- The greenish circle with the intertwined rings is a Hotspot.
That’s pretty much information technology for the standard iPhone icons. Short, sweet and to the point. I’m sure these volition change equally hereafter versions of iOS updates them merely these are electric current in the iPhone 10 and iOS 12.
Did I miss whatever iPhone icons? Know of any plans to change these in iOS 13? Tell us below if you have anything to add!